Which e-mail address? RRS feed

• Question

• We used to provide all of our users with e-mail accounts on our domain.  However, now, many users wish to use their own e-mail accounts.  When I fill in the "E-mail" field in Active Directory, it still appears as though Outlook will try to send e-mails to the old e-mail account from our domain (which they do not check).  How do you get Outlook to reference the e-mail address in the "E-mail" field instead?

It looks like the answer might lie in the ProxyAddresses field, as the "SMTP:" attribute still points to the old e-mail address.  Could this be it?  Is there a way to systematically have Outlook use the "E-mail" field address instead?

I'm a bit of an Active Directory neophyte, so bear with me.  Thanks! :-)

• Moved by pbbergs [MSFT] Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:11 PM (From:Directory Services)
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:49 PM

All replies

• Which version of Exchange do you have?

If you have mail-enabled users (as opposed to mailbox-enabled) users then the targetAddress attribute is the one Exchange uses for routing purposes.  Normally, this attribute gets populated behind the scenes by whatever Exchange management tool you use.  Typically you do not use Active Directory Users and Computers to manage Exchange info, unless you have Exchange 2003 or earlier.  If you have Exchange 2007 or 2010 then you should use either the Exchange Management Console or the Exchange Management Shell.

Tony www.activedir.org blog:www.open-a-socket.com

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Tony is correct - this question is better suited for the Exchange forum.

Refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver/

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

As others suggested, since the current issue is more related to a Exchange issue, we’d better ask the question in the Exchange forum, we will have a better assistance there. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Andy

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:23 AM
  • On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:49:25 +0000, Josh Loomis wrote:

>We used to provide all of our users with e-mail accounts on our domain. However, now, many users wish to use their own e-mail accounts. When I fill in the "E-mail" field in Active Directory, it still appears as though Outlook will try to send e-mails to the old e-mail account from our domain (which they do not check). How do you get Outlook to reference the e-mail address in the "E-mail" field instead?

The "mail" attribute in the AD user isn't used by Exchange to deliver
    e-mail. In fact, it's referred to as "WindowsEmailAddress". Exchange
    uses the multivalued property "proxyAddresses" and "targetAddress".

Your Exchange admin should remove the mailbox from this user
    (preserving any custom properties that will be lost (e.g. the "Custom
    Attribute X" set of properties) and then "mail-enable" the user. At
    that time the external e-mail address will be set in the targetAddress
    and proxyAddresses properties and the internal e-mail address will be
    set as a secondary SMTP proxy address in the proxyAddresses.

After that, any e-mail sent to the internal or external address wil be
    delivered to the external address. The user will continue to appear in
    your GAL and in the OAB.

>It looks like the answer might lie in the ProxyAddresses field, as the "SMTP:" attribute still points to the old e-mail address. Could this be it?

Sorta. See above.

>Is there a way to systematically have Outlook use the "E-mail" field address instead?

Sure. After turning them into mail-enabled users the correct
    information will be taken from the GAL/OAB.

You may initially have problems with the "address completion cache" in
    Outlook. Your users should remove any "remembered" addresses for the
    recipient from that cache. If they don't they may get NDRs with the
    reason ExRecipientUnknown.

>I'm a bit of an Active Directory neophyte, so bear with me. Thanks! :-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:27 PM