Failed to Run Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I have set the computer up in the SCCM Console, the SMBIOS GUID and the MAC address are correct.  I can see the task sequence when I boot the PC up.  I select the task sequence and the it kicks back the below error:

FAILED TO RUN TASK SEQUENCE

This task sequence cannot be run because the program files for ABC12345 cannot be located on a distribution point.

I can see the files on the distribution point.  The only thing I could find anywhere referencing this issue was to make sure I set a username and password in the Computer Client Agent.  Well I had missed that so I went back set the username and password (currently a domain admin) and gave that user full rights inside SCCM.  Still doesn't work.  I am sure it is something little that I am missing but I haven't found it yet.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Friday, November 9, 2007 11:53 AM

Answers

• Well I figured out my problem.  I was trying to run this from the upper level management server so I had to allow the system to access remote distribution points since my client was actually falling within the boundaries of the old SMS 2003 server which is a child of the SCCM 2007 server.  So all is good on my end.  Running thru the Task sequence now without issue.

LOCATION OF THE CHECKBOX THAT FIXED THIS:  Go under the advertisement, select the Task Sequence, select properties, go to the distribution points tab, check 'When no local distribution point is available, use a remote distribution point'

Friday, November 9, 2007 3:30 PM

All replies

• When you say, you have set up computer, what do you refer to...

I believe your DP isnt populated properly. Re-distribute all the packages involved in your task sequence, to the DP. It should work. 

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:37 PM
  • When I refer to setting up the computer properly, I have imported it into SCCM to be available to receive the advertisement for distribution.

I thought the same thing on the distribution points.  I have physically looked at the distro points and redistibuted it several times.  It is almost as if it doesn't have permissions to view the distro point, but I don't know what else to set on it to give it permissions.

The distro point has the following share permissions:  Everyone (FULL CONTROL), and the following NTFS permissions:  Adminstrators (FULL CONTROL), Users (Read, Read & Execute, List).

I have set the network access account to a domain admin so that should be what it is accessing everything by.

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:55 PM
  • what r u trying to do with this task sequence? does it only contain OS?

how have you made the package to run - run from DP share or5 download into client?

how abt the sccm client package?

Friday, November 9, 2007 2:08 PM
  •  

According to my interpretation of the instructions with SCCM:

1.  Create your boot image from Task Sequences by creating task sequence media, where you create capture media.

2.  You have your prepped workstation that has the admin password to blank, SMS agent installed, not joined to the domain, and sysprep on the C Drive.

3.  You then put in the Capture disk with the operating system up, it autoruns, syspreps the computer and reboots the system.  It then captures the image to the location you put in while the system was up.

4.  Next you add the operating system image to operating system images where it creates your package.  Set Distro Point.

5.  Create a task sequence to deploy the image.  I created a generic one (Copied one of the ones installed and removed what I didn't need) that does the following:

a.  Partition the disk

b.  Apply Operating System (which chooses the image I created above)

c.  Apply Windows Settings (which puts the windows key and local admin password on the system)

d.  Apply Network Settings (which adds it to the domain)

e.  Apply Device Drivers (which adds in all of the necessary drivers for the PC.)

6.  Created a collection specifically for deployment and advertised the Task sequence to that collection making it available to Boot media.  I selected Download contect locally when needed by the running task.

7.  Create Boot Media for installation.

8.  Add the PC to the Collection.

9.  Boot the PC with the installation disk, select the task sequence for deployment and it should go.

Mine quits after selecting the task sequence saying it can't find the distribution point.

Does that answer your question above?  Let me know if I need to expand on any of the above information.

Friday, November 9, 2007 3:00 PM
  • Well I figured out my problem.  I was trying to run this from the upper level management server so I had to allow the system to access remote distribution points since my client was actually falling within the boundaries of the old SMS 2003 server which is a child of the SCCM 2007 server.  So all is good on my end.  Running thru the Task sequence now without issue.

LOCATION OF THE CHECKBOX THAT FIXED THIS:  Go under the advertisement, select the Task Sequence, select properties, go to the distribution points tab, check 'When no local distribution point is available, use a remote distribution point'

Friday, November 9, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Buddy, I'm trying to simply deploy vista. I'm using vista.vim from vista dvd. Now, one more difference... all the advertisements for packages in the task sequence, like os package & sccm client package is set to "Run program from DP".

Also advertisement for task sequence is set to "access content directly from DP when needed by running task sequence"

I'm deploying the image & even if i give the machine 20 hours, it only deploys 25%

Please suggest what's going wrong???...

• Proposed as answer by mab506 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:10 PM
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mab506 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Thanks alot Nick_0001, that really helped me out
    Friday, November 4, 2011 5:53 PM