none
how to export data from MS Project 2010 to MS Excel 2010 with formatting RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Project 2010 export map to Excel 2010.  It works fine.  I have two questions that I cannot determine an answer.  I'm not sure if its a project or excel setting.  I have spend hours trying to make it work with little success.

1.  When the task name field is exported to excel it losses summary/task indent.  Is there a way to set it up so it works via the export map?

2.  The Start & Finish fields in project is setup as 5/26/11 when they exports to excel it shows up as 5/26/11 8:00 AM.  Is there a way to set it up either in project export map or excel so its formated as a date field.  Excel's Format Cell function does not seem to work converting them back to just 5/26/11.

How can I keep the outlines and formatting in my data while exporting it to Excel.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Yogesh

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:26 AM

Answers

• For the 1st question -

The Outline Number field contains the number that represents a task's position in the hierarchical outline structure.  You can export Outline Number field to Excel and process it in Excel.

For the 2nd question -

Pls check this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-project/issue-with-exporting-to-excel-from-ms-project/2140ce2f-a688-41ec-8d08-c1f94a69491b

Pls note that time information is a part of the date information in Project regardless of the display format. I would suggest you handle the time part in Excel.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:06 AM
  • The mapping process does not pass formatting data so you either have to copy/paste or refomrat the dates in Excel.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:58 AM

All replies

• The mapping process does not pass formatting data so you either have to copy/paste or refomrat the dates in Excel.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:58 AM
  • For the 1st question -

The Outline Number field contains the number that represents a task's position in the hierarchical outline structure.  You can export Outline Number field to Excel and process it in Excel.

For the 2nd question -

Pls check this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-project/issue-with-exporting-to-excel-from-ms-project/2140ce2f-a688-41ec-8d08-c1f94a69491b

Pls note that time information is a part of the date information in Project regardless of the display format. I would suggest you handle the time part in Excel.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:06 AM
  • As Rod notes, copy and paste keeping source formatting works great -- you'll see the outline structure and the date comes in as displayed (without time) as displayed in Project.

Julie

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:58 AM
  • I have gone through the book by Mr Rod Gill.

I have successfully exported the data from MS Project 2010 file to Excel 2010 using Project VBA.

However the same thing I am unable to do using VSTO.

Hope someone can help me on the issue

Thanks in advance

Rameshchandra C Keni (PMP)

RCKeni

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Rameshchandra --

Two things I would recommend:

• Do not add your question at the end of a post that is marked as Answered.  In the future, please post your question as a new question so that everyone will notice it and be able to answer it.
    • Because this is a programming question, please repost your question as a new post in the Project Customization and Programming user forum at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/home?forum=project2010custprog&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:00 PM