I have tried to format my flash Drive usb RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Good People

I have tried to format my flash Drive USB. and i keep getting a windows message

I have also tried formatting my flash Drive USB through windows explorer to no avail.

but when I populate the volume on the E:\ the drive registers after about 3 mins

I must do doing something wrong I have never had this trouble before 

Can anybody help me please

Kind reards

Gary

Gary Simpson

Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Gary,

We could try to format the USB flash drive from other computer and check if the issue still exists.

If we still can’t format it, please contact with manufacturer to check if there are hardware issues.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Gary Simpson Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:43 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 1:36 AM

All replies

• here is another image

Gary Simpson

Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:49 PM
  • Hello Gary Simpson,

Can you normally use the USB drive to copy and transfer files?

If we could use it normally, we could contact the USB drive manufacturer to check if is is hardware issue.

We could try the command chkdsk /f e: to find and repair errors that are found in the E drive.

For more information about the command, please take a look at the following article.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Hi Fangzhou chen

Thank you for getting back to me, I have tried your suggestion and I am sorry to say It didn't work.

So I tried list Volume and the result is my USB is unusable as it shows in the picture below, But thank you very much for your input. I guess It's another throw away

Best regards

Gary

Gary Simpson

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Hello Gary,

Please take the following steps for troubleshooting:
    1. Use the command list volume as you mentioned in the last reply.
    2. Use the command select volume 3 to select the USB driver
    3. Use the command list partition to check if there are partition in the volume
    4. If you don’t have partition in the volume, use the command create partition primary to create one, and then check if the issue still exists.

For more information, please take a look at the following article about the issue.
    http://windowsexplored.com/2012/06/11/making-my-unusable-usb-stick-usable-again/
    Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

Monday, January 26, 2015 6:07 AM
  • Hi Again Fangzhou Chen

Thanks again for suggesting the above. Here is a picture of what i have done in the command prompt:....

I put the flash drive in the USB port. and a message shows you need to format E:\ so I click format after about 4 minuets I get another Message saying:.....

Windows Cannot format drive E:\

I then Started the Command Prompt 

I typed List Volume ......... the top part of my picture showed                                volume 3     letter E     no label   no FS  type it was removable   size 0 ..  No Media  Blank info

I removed the flash drive then re-inserted the flash drive... The first message came up again you need to format E:\ This time I pressed the cancel Button and went to the Command Prompt I typed In the Command Prompt again List Volume this time the CMD said Volume 3 .. Letter E .. No Label .. No FS ..Type was Removable .. Size 14 GB Unusable  

Then In DiskPart I selected Volume 3 then type List Partition ....                                     ...It then said There are no Partitions on this disk to show...                                              I then typed Create Partition Primary........                                                                      It then said...Diskpart has encountered an Error: The System cannot find the file specified  see the system event log for more information ......                                          I look In the system event log It say's nothing.

So As I said previously "The Flash drive is destined for the bin 

Best Regards

Gary

Gary Simpson

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Hello Gary,

We could try to format the USB flash drive from other computer and check if the issue still exists.

If we still can’t format it, please contact with manufacturer to check if there are hardware issues.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

• Marked as answer by Gary Simpson Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:43 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 1:36 AM