My Windows 7 User Profile seems to be....stuck? RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago I restarted my computer and randomly when everything was loaded up, most of my settings were reset and cannot be altered. Some symptoms include:

- All items pinned to my start menu and task bar were removed, and I can't pin any more items to them.

- My default browser gets reset. When I load Firefox and it asks me to set it as default, I do so, but then next time I load it up it just asks me again.

- My Appdata seems to be completely hidden from sight. If I try to make a new Appdata folder, it will ask me if I want to merge it with the current one, but I can't see or access the current one in the first place.

Basically it just seems like everything about my User Profile is locked in place and cannot be changed. I have no idea what triggered this.

If I make a new User Profile, everything seems functional, but I'd like to just fix this one so I don't have to redo all of my settings and such.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:17 PM

Answers

• A few days ago I restarted my computer and randomly when everything was loaded up, most of my settings were reset and cannot be altered. Some symptoms include:

- All items pinned to my start menu and task bar were removed, and I can't pin any more items to them.

- My default browser gets reset. When I load Firefox and it asks me to set it as default, I do so, but then next time I load it up it just asks me again.

- My Appdata seems to be completely hidden from sight. If I try to make a new Appdata folder, it will ask me if I want to merge it with the current one, but I can't see or access the current one in the first place.

Basically it just seems like everything about my User Profile is locked in place and cannot be changed. I have no idea what triggered this.

If I make a new User Profile, everything seems functional, but I'd like to just fix this one so I don't have to redo all of my settings and such.

Hi

Please see the following article for the step by step procedure to transfer all of the files and settings from the old user profile to the new profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile - How to

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 24, 2010 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 28, 2010 2:19 AM
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:21 AM