none
Upgrading windows 10 professional version 1607 to version 1703 Error code 0xc1900200 What determines partition sizing?

Question

• Yesterday I upgraded one computer from windows 10 version 1607 to version 1703 (OS Build 15063.13) using the Microsoft Update Assistant.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update/74dbfd8a-d36b-4939-bc24-e99bf9374fe7

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

This is disk management on the computer that was upgraded using the Microsoft Update Assistant:

This computer was used to reproduce a Windows defender offline blue screen boot loop.  The troubleshooting menu on a windows 10 1607 iso did not have startup options with safe mode and command prompt to turn off windows driver verifier.  The partitions on the SSD drive were deleted making the drive unallocated.  Then the windows 10 version 1607 was installed.  And as above it was upgraded to version 1703 yesterday without any problems.  The Windows defender offline incompatibility problem with Windows driver verifier was tested with windows 10 version 1703 and the blue screen boot loop was fixed by Microsoft so that it is no longer occurs.

A second computer had the option via windows updates to get an early edition of 1703.

This update method was selected and this morning it displayed:

Something went wrong.

Error code 0xc1900200

This computer had Windows 10 version 1607 and also had a Windows defender offline blue screen boot loop.  It was fixed in a store.  There the files were saved in a windows PE environment.  The bios settings were changed from Legacy to UEFI native without CSM.  Using the bios the internal hard drive was sanitized.  The Windows 10 version 1607 was reinstalled.  Files, drivers, and some applications were reinstalled.

This computer had problems with its first boot which was very sluggish.  A second reboot displayed restarting with rotating white dots on a blue background for hours.  It never booted to the wallpaper or lock screen.  It was powered off and on.  An administrative command prompt sfc scannow run was very slow.  It displayed no integrity violations.  A dism restorhealth was also very slow and eventually completed successfully. 

One week later the computer booted to a HP icon without rotating white dots on a black background.  It had to be powered off and on.  

Each of these displayed a critical event in the event viewer that windows was not shut down properly.

With these two boot hangs the Windows performance recorder was used to record tracings for the boot.  I had submitted these tracings in another link.  So far there has not been any analysis.

In addition to sfc scannow and dism restore health, chkdsk /f /r was ran.

The computer is now in clean boot.  I was wondering whether upgrading to windows 10 version 1703 would potentially fix the boot hangs.

Last night I attempted to upgrade this computer from Windows 10 1607 to version 1703 and it failed with error code 0xc1900200.

This is disk management on the computer that was fixed in the store:

1) Does the source of the Windows version 1607 whether it is from a windows 10 iso, Microsoft directly, or form HP recovery media determine the size of the partitions on the drive? 

2) What determines the size of the partitions on the drive when installing windows 10 version 1607?

3) If this was at first a windows 7 professional factory install that was upgraded to windows 10 version 1511 would that have impacted the partition sizing?  

4) It was a clean install with sanitizing in the store.  How come the windows 10 version 1607 did not have partition sizing appropriate for version 1703?

5) How do you fix the internal hard drive partition or partitions so that windows 10 professional version 1607 can be upgraded to version 1703 and make 100% sure that all files are safe?

6) If you knew in advance about the partition needs of version 1703 and you were planning to install 1607 today and upgrade to 1703 in 6 months how would you perform a clean install with version 1607 so that you could later easily upgrade to version 1703?

7) I am a novice with diskpart.  The information from this link was used:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/300415/a-description-of-the-diskpart-command-line-utility

This is a onedrive link to the diskpart commands and chkdsk today:  https://1drv.ms/t/s!AhdfDD74t_q2jRFgGRc5-2tanR10

Before the attempted upgrade form version 1607 to 1703 chkdsk /f /r was ran and it completed successfully.  This was only days ago.  At the end of the diskpart today I typed chkdsk and it displayed corruption.

I plan to run chkdsk /f/ r again.

8) Do you think the attempted update caused the corruption?  Do you think the diskpart commands that I just entered caused the corruption?  If not then what typically causes the corruption within days of a prior successful chkdsk /f /r?

9) Isn't there a log file of the chkdsk /f /r somewhere in the eventvwr?  Would that be of any value now?  If so how do you find it?

Ideally upgrading to a newer version of windows solves many problems.  

Please see all of the questions above and if you would please number your replies so I can follow the answers for each.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:51 PM

All replies

• Somehow this was posted in an incorrect forum.  How do you repost into an appropriate windows 10 forum?
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

For the new upgrade to 1703 version, I suggest that we could try to reinstall by using the Windows 10 1703 version ISO file and redefine the C drive size.

For Windows 10 issue, we could post Windows 10 forum in the link below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Thx. 

The installation using a windows 10 iso virtual dvd or usb were unsuccessful before the partition resizing.  With partition resizing it was only partially successful.  This time it allowed the installation of windows 10.  It indicated during the installation that there would be multiple reboots.  And during the first reboot is had the option to skip disk checking.

The skip disk checking reminded me about problems with chkdsk.  After windows 10 professional version 1703 was completely installed and working chkdsk displayed multiple corrupted and orphaned files.

Chkdsk /f /r was ran for approximately 5 and 1/2 hours and it booted to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.  It indicated that it did not restart properly.

So using diskmgmt.msc resized the partition to permit upgrading but the resizing of the partition produced a dirty drive.  Repairing the dirty drive with the chkdsk /f setting probably removed critical registry or operating system data needed for a normal boot.

A clean install was then performed.  Diskpart was used to delete the volume.  The bootable USB windows 10 iso was then used again but this time as a clean install.  The drivers and applications were installed yesterday and today.  The user files and folders will be restored later this evening.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

Your test is excellent. Thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:53 AM
  • I found the link that was used to fix the problems with the partition size.

This link may enable others that have drive partition issues when attempting upgrades to windows 10 version 1703.  This had worked for panther error code 0xc1900104, or error code 0x800f0922.  It also works for error code 0xc1900200.

Using the section for windows 8.1 for GPT partition the free space was increased by removing a language folder.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/-we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows-10

HP had a second method using commands instead of explorer.exe.  They planned to remove the UEFI diagnostics folder instead of the language folder.
    Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your clarification and the update on the issue.

It is useful for the others to check the issue.

Best regards,

Carl

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:39 AM
  • I found the link that was used to fix the problems with the partition size.

THP had a second method using commands instead of explorer.exe.  They planned to remove the UEFI diagnostics folder instead of the language folder.

Hi, i' ve read this instructions and maybe i can delete a lot of languages unused (Korean, Chinese, ecc...).

Do you have a link for the files of HP that can be deleted ?

Thank you

Monday, June 5, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Working with HP we found that their UEFI diagnostics when downloaded and installed was installed on the partition.  This was the same partition that did not have sufficient free space to permit the upgrade from windows 1607 to 1703.  So HP was considering using command line to remove the UEFI downloaded files in the partition using dispart commands.  

Before that was done the language and font files were removed using the advanced/expert explorer.exe commands in the link.

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Yes, i can confirm.

Creators Update installed on Zbook G3 15, with a partition EFI of 100 Mb.

I have deleted all the languages, except English and Italian.

Then, inside Font, i have deleted the Chinese and Korean fonts.

I obtained 19 MB free, so the Creators Update worked.

Thanks again and Best Regards

EDIT : the update wrote all languages and fonts again.

Probably it wants to sostitute the old, but it hasn't te space to unpack the file.

After it found the free space, it replaces all.

• Edited by dickfrey Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:14 AM