Metadata vs Enterprise Keywords fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know of a document that explains the difference between the Metadata and the Enterprise Keywords features?  When you upload a document to a library the AJAX box can prompt you for information.  Currently I see a Metadata field where I am allowed to enter exactly one tag.  I have also enabled the Enterprise Keywords field where I am able to enter multiple tags but that field does not provide an opportunity to browse the established Managed Metadata.

I do not know the ramifications of using one of these fields over the other.  Any thoughts?

As a part 2: is there a way to enable the Metadata field to hold multiple values?

Thanks,
    Matt

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• With managed metadata you can control the metadata that can be attached to items (such as documents). This can be used to create a taxonomy.

The Enterpise keywords enables the end users to add their own tags/metadata to items. This can be used to create a folksonomy. 

Also check this article:

http://www.endusersharepoint.com/EUSP2010/2010/04/19/sharepoint-2010-metadata-and-taxonomy-management-overview/

Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: JasITConsultant Please remember to mark your question as answered if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by MB2009 Monday, January 9, 2012 8:18 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Thank you Jasper,

- Enterprise Keywords are the same as Folksonomy - There doesn't appear to be a way to prevent users from entering non-managed data in this field nor can you add a picker.

- Metadata is the same as Managed Metadata - you can edit the column settings in a document library to enable users to enter more than one option in this field.  It disables sorting on the field but provides you with a filter option instead which works just as good as sorting.

Monday, January 9, 2012 8:18 PM