SharePoint Calendar - Connect to Outlook - Authentication Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2007 farm. My users typically run Windows 7, but one claimed the issue occurred on his XP machine as well. All users are using Outlook 2007.

Users that have contribute or even full access to a site can operate the calendar within a site as expected if browsing the site/calendar in IE (version 8). If they "Connect to Outlook" the calendar it appears in Outlook as expected but they are prompted with a Windows Security dialog box that will never actually accept their credentials. They have no write permissions to the calendar within Outlook. The dialog shows the SharePoint server's FQDN, but will not accept the credentials.

I have added the site to both the Intranet Zone and Trusted Sites zone to no avail. The one solution that I found was that if I use Outlook 2010 I have no issues, regardless of whether I have IE8 or IE9. The prompt does not appear and I can write to the calendar via Outlook. The problem is we are not able to roll out Office 2010 to our entire company for some time.

Much of the info I have found searching online says this is an issue with IE8 and Outlook 2007, but I have yet to find a solution to this issue. We are in the process of rolling out Windows 7 pcs to all 500+ users and as we continue rolling out these systems more and more users are experiencing this.

Dennis Robare

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

Have you checked if you have installed the KB2825999 after KB2768023 for Outlook 2007?

Here is another post with same issue caused by the KB2825999 update for Outlook 2007, you can try the workaround mentioned in the following post to solve this issue.

1. Uninstall KB2825644 (this is the replacement for KB2825999)
    2. Uninstall KB2768023 (if it is present)
    3. Reboot
    4. Delete the SharePoint List.pst file from the users profile (C:\users\username\appdata\microsoft\outlook\share..PST
    5. Start Outlook and test adding items to sharepoint calendars.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84226725-c2db-4f48-87ca-eb3b5e7be34e/sharepointoutlook-interaction-issues-calendar-will-not-sync?forum=sharepointadminlegacy

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com. 

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by DenRobare Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DenRobare Monday, February 17, 2014 2:59 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Thanks Daniel!

I removed all three KBs mentioned above and deleted the list.pst and it worked.

I tried after each KB was removed and only after all three were removed did it work. In case it matters the order I removed them in was as follows:

KB2825644
    KB2825999
    KB2768023

I tried putting KB2825999 back on after removing KB2768023 and having success writing to the calendar, but it started prompting again immediately. So it appears that none of these KBs can be present.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis Robare

Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:39 PM
  • I have tried adding KB2768023 back unto the machine and it prompts again immediately.

We are going to have to way the options of removing these KBs from our systems or not having SP calendars work with Outlook 2007.

One new development, my desktop, which has Office 2010 started prompting me as soon as I started connecting with a laptop with Office 2007 (with KBs present). Removal of the KBs fixes my desktop issue as well. So somehow the account is affected by the KBs. I noticed this when my trying to install just the one KB on the laptop to see if it would work still, which it does not, and my desktop's Outlook all of a sudden prompted me.

Any thoughts? If we can figure out the underlying account setting or what not that is affected we may be able to work around removing the KBs and opening security vulnerabilities that the KBs address.

Dennis Robare

Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Not sure where or if some account settings could fix this issue, it may be caused by these three kb updates (one of them or a combination), we can use the workaround uninstalling three kb updates currently as you have tested until the next updates for fixing this issue (also mentioned in above discussion post).

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Daniel,

I have found another interesting development. We have multiple sharepoint sites hosted on a single server which has a single NIC with multiple IPs assigned to it. The sites are each bound to a different IP in IIS of course. I have tested the different sites and some prompt and others do not. The patches are present and some sites, from the same SharePoint farm, on the same physical server, do not prompt endlessly for credentials.

This is good news, as we can now leave the patches alone and not have to remove them from our systems.

The new dilemma comes in that I have examined the IIS settings for each site and compared the working sites settings with the non-working sites. I cannot see any difference in IIS.

Any thoughts on this with this new information?

Dennis Robare

• Edited by DenRobare Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Does no one have any more input or ideas on this? I cant just remove the updates from all our systems and the fact remains it only occurs on some of the 2007 sharepoint sites and not all, even though they are all on a single server. What/where can there be differences? I thought I read somewhere something about DNS entries or aliases being involved with one of the listed updates. I have checked all the DNS records for the server in question and all the sites (both working and non-working) to no avail.

Dennis Robare

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:00 PM