can't use voice/video functionality with external domain connected users through federation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Hope you keeping well..!!

We are communicating with external customers lync server through federation option setup on our corporate lync server.  We have received the federation setting from the customer with SIP address which has been setup on our corporate lync servers after that we were able to browse the customer contact through corporate lync account.

We were also able to chat with external customer but however voice/video functionality are not working through same session.  Whenever we try to dial out external customer lync account it ended with error message "call ended due to network issue".

We have checked the setting from corporate lync servers and network point of view but doesn't find any issue which cause the disconnection to voice/video over lync.  Could you pl help or guide with the way to resolve the issue.

Thanks, MK

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:22 AM

All replies

• Please check if you have audio/video functionality between an internal user and an external user.

If that doesn’t work, there are something wrong with your Lync Edge Server.

Please check the ports required are opened and the traffic is not blocked by firewall

It that work, then you must check if your partner’s Lync Edge Server work correctly.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.<o:p></o:p>

Audio/Video works fine within corporate when dial any lync contact.  We only have issue while trying to use the same functionality with any other external lync contact configured over federation option.<o:p></o:p>

We already checked the security rules and all required ports are open, as confirmed by local resolver group.<o:p></o:p>

We have checked with external parties and according to them their systems are hosted by Microsoft as part of office 365 suite and they already have federation option for 17 different customers which works fine.  Which means issue must be your local end.<o:p></o:p>

Is there any tool available to identify the issue from client end?<o:p></o:p>

Also I have a question here....In my corporate environment...client is sitting in India and lync servers are hosted in UK and users connect to it over MPLS route.  In Client lync configuration we have  internal/external servers configured .....so when i tried to make a voice call with external lync users then I see from netstat -a command that traffic hitting to multiple public IP addresses directly from my machine..<o:p></o:p>

Does it mean that client required internet connectivity with specific open media ports to connect with external parties for video/voice? or in ideal case all request should handle by corporate internal server which should took UK internet path to connect with external lync contact?

Thanks, MK

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Verify A\V firewall ports is opened as existing in below link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425882.aspx

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:21 PM
  • A/V works fine with other federation that we have setup on lync servers.  That's what update i have received from our resolver group..

A strange thing i have notice....as we based in India and our lync servers are in UK......A/V works fine when I connect with any India based lync contact......today i have tried to make a A/V connectivity with UK based users who is part of same organization but i couldn't able to make A/V call and its ended with same error message "called ended due to network issue".....the same error message which I received when I tried to contact external lync contact..

Any views.........or suggest the way forward to troubleshoot the issue....in case any log works better from client end, pl do let me know...

Thanks, MK

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:52 PM
  • any one have any suggestion here please?

Thanks, MK

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:47 AM