Missing Desktop Icons and Wallpaper after rebooting RRS feed

• Question

• Good day, my Uncle is having trouble with his new Asus laptop F9E core 2 duo 1.6GHz 2gb memory 160 gb hdd 12.1w xga display with windows vista home basic operating system.

The problem is, everytime we restart the computer (with admin login) the desktop icon and wallpaper are always missing, we have to configure it to unhide the desktop icons and reconfigure the desktop wallpaper everytime we restart it.

It seems like everytime we reboot the laptop, all we recently configured disappears as if it didn't save the configuration and have to reconfigure the icon and wallpaper again and again (every restart).

I am not sure if it's a virus since i've checked the laptop for viruses and nothing shows up. My only guess is that it is a vista problem. Thanks

Edit/Added: I can access taskbar and right click on the desktop by the way
    Monday, September 29, 2008 6:36 AM

Answers

• Note: This problem can be caused by ‘malware’, I suggest you run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware by going to this link and downloading it http://www.superantispyware.com/

If Explorer and Desktop are missing at boot, click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ named Shell and it has a value of "explorer.exe" (no quotation marks). If it’s not there, create it by clicking Edit > New > String Value then right-click it and key in explorer.exe then restart the computer.

If the Windows Orb (Start) is missing, open regedit via Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc then on the Applications Tab click ‘New Task’ at the bottom, type regedit.exe and press Enter.

To be prudent, create a system restore point (rstrui.exe in Task Manager) before making any changes to the registry.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:05 PM

All replies

• Note: This problem can be caused by ‘malware’, I suggest you run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware by going to this link and downloading it http://www.superantispyware.com/

If Explorer and Desktop are missing at boot, click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ named Shell and it has a value of "explorer.exe" (no quotation marks). If it’s not there, create it by clicking Edit > New > String Value then right-click it and key in explorer.exe then restart the computer.

If the Windows Orb (Start) is missing, open regedit via Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc then on the Applications Tab click ‘New Task’ at the bottom, type regedit.exe and press Enter.

To be prudent, create a system restore point (rstrui.exe in Task Manager) before making any changes to the registry.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Can you create another administrative user and see if you see the same issue. If it isnt then it could be just a corrupted profile and you can move the data over to the new profile.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  simulatedsurvivor wrote:
    Can you create another administrative user and see if you see the same issue. If it isnt then it could be just a corrupted profile and you can move the data over to the new profile.

tried another profile to no avail, it produces the same problem

as for BurrWalnut's suggestion, will try it this weekend. Also my start button is available, only the desktop icons/shortcut icons and desktop wallpaper tends to be missing after every restart. I can make the icons appear again by right-clicking the desktop->"arrange icons by"->checking "show desktop icons" and as for the wallpaper i can set a picture as a wallpaper. But after restarting...poof all the settings i've done were gone
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:23 AM