Windows 7 - Turn on Computer, Black Screen w/Mouse RRS feed

• Question

• When I turn on my computer  i see all the vaio and intel logos and then the windows 7 'loading ' logo.   After that the screen just goes black for a LONG time. I hear the windows welcome sound even though the screen is black.  After 20-30 minutes i am able to see the welcome/log in screen for windows 7 and I am able to log in and run the computer as normal.

I cant figure out how to solve this or what caused this.

I can boot in safe mode normally without the long wait time (same thing for system recovery mode)

The only thing i can think of is that this problem started exactly after i replugged and re-setup my computer in my room. I painted the walls and put the computer on the side(covered). I never had this problem before i painted the walls. Could it be that maybe paint or something go into the tower or computer? is it a hardware issue or software?

thanks,

amman

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi amman123,

I would suggest that you recheck all connections, especially the graphics to display.

Power everything off when making connections. Then, power on peripherals, then the computer.

If that does not solve the issue, at least you can get to safe mode or normal mode(after a wait) and run diagnostics or a system restore.

Try the connections first and post back. I don't think there's any paint issues.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Try this

1. Make sure you are not running on dual monitor, if you are try to use just one first and update to the latest driver before using the 2nd monitor. Unplug all the cable when doing so

2. Try F8 > Enable low resolution mode. If you are able to login without any problem then its a clear cut problem with your graphic driver. For NVIDIA and ATI driver, please uninstall it from Program and Features. Once done, it will prompt you to restart. DO NOT RESTART, instead go to the manufacturer site and download the latest driver based on your model. Once finish downloading and installing it, restart the computer as per normal.

Hope this will help you

Thank you

Freak05

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:23 AM
  • It seems that the Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) does not start properly. I suggest you troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 6, 2010 5:25 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:55 AM