Shared Features does not display correct patch level RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a new SQL 2017 Server with shared features (Client Tools Connectivity & Client Tools Backwards Compatibility). The SQL Instance is patched to SQL2017 CU20  but when I run the "Discovery Report", the Database Engine feature shows correct patch level (14.0.3294.2) but the features show RTM patch level (14.0.1000.169). 

I tried to re-run the CU20 patch but it says the Shared Features are already updated and it clearly says the patch level is 14.0.3294.2) when I select the feature from the wizard.

This is causing issue as the security team picking this up in their vulnerability scan report saying the Server is not patched.

Can someone advise if the shared features patch level cannot be patched or if I missed something or if this is a bug ?

*there is a second 2017 SQL Server that also has same issue with everything patched to SQL 2017 CU19 but the shared features are still showing RTM patch level.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi MiamiKK,

I have asked my teamates and they have same tested result.

I  recommend you to submit your issue to the Microsoft feedback at this link: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server 
    This site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft feedback.

Best Regards.

yuxi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by MiamiKK Friday, May 15, 2020 5:13 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi

After a restart the version has not changed?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:28 AM
  • Yes the Server has been restarted after patching and when discovery report is run, the version of shared features is not changing.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 11:41 PM
  • Hi MiamiKK,

I have tested on my side and have the same issue as yours.

I will resonse this issue to my team and if I get he answer I will reply ASAP.

Best Regards.

yuxi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:21 AM
  • Hi MiamiKK,

I have asked my teamates and they have same tested result.

I  recommend you to submit your issue to the Microsoft feedback at this link: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server 
    This site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft feedback.

Best Regards.

yuxi

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by MiamiKK Friday, May 15, 2020 5:13 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:33 AM
  • Hi MiamiKK,

Is the reply helpful?

Do you submit one feedback?

Best Regards.

yuxi

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 15, 2020 1:18 AM
  • Hi Yuxi,

Yes I have submitted feedback. I will mark your reply as answer.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/40421185

Friday, May 15, 2020 5:13 AM
  • Hi MiamiKK,

Thanks for your post and reply.

Your feedback will be benefit for the product.

Best Regards.

yuxi

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 15, 2020 7:41 AM