App-V 5 SP1 move PackageRoot to different drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm setting up an RDS environment with the RDS flavor of App-V5 SP1 client. The servers that run the clients have slow and small internal drives which is why I want to tell App-V to use a SAN drive for the local copies of the "bubbles". What do I need to consider to make that happen? I tried to use:

Set-AppvClientConfiguration -PackageInstallationRoot D:\Apps

I tried this but then the "bubbles" did not launch complaining about not finding this and that. I had to uninstall the client and reinstall with default paths to make it work again. What did I miss?

Thanks in advance?

/Gruntemannen

/Christopher

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:19 AM

Answers

• Use a share (for example: \\servername\sharename).

Just import your packages (using the Mgmt Server GUI or with Powershell "Add- & Publish-package"), pointing to the share on your SAN.

Have you set the share and ntfs permissions right? (read permissions for Domain Users (or AppV Users) & Domain Computers to the share where packages are stored).

Maybe you could consider Shared Content Store?
    Friday, May 10, 2013 8:26 AM

All replies

• Use a share (for example: \\servername\sharename).

Just import your packages (using the Mgmt Server GUI or with Powershell "Add- & Publish-package"), pointing to the share on your SAN.

Have you set the share and ntfs permissions right? (read permissions for Domain Users (or AppV Users) & Domain Computers to the share where packages are stored).

Maybe you could consider Shared Content Store?
    Friday, May 10, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Sorry I didn't read your question to well. You want to move all the packages.

ReAdd and RePublish them using the new share? I don't now if there is a better solution to migrate the content store in AppV5 ..

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late response on this topic. I'm trying to do this on a stand alone RDS server as part of a POC (not using an App-V Server). As long as I keep the package root on C: it all works fine. I then unpublish, remove, set the PackageRoot to E: in this case and restart the App-V service. I verify the AppvClientConfiguration and see that the root is set to D:.

However, If I readd and publish the application it does not work. I have a "SAS Institute" bubble that works on C: but once I move the root to E: with faster drives things start to go wrong. Java is not found, OLE components fail etc. These are all components that was sequenced to the same bubble (not application group). Once I reverse back to C: it works again.

I tried to exclude for instance Java and sequenced that as middleware with the same result. Is there a virtual filesystem that gets broken when moving the PackageInstallation Root? Should not the location of the bubble be transparent?

Please help?

Br,

Christopher

/Christopher

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hello,

I would guess, since you do not tell us a whole lot, that you are;

1. Setup the app-v client

2. Add the packages

3. Change the IntegrationRootGlobal

4. Things "go wrong"

Is this correct? How did you, technically, do this? What powershell commands did you use? What parameters were those configured with?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hello,

I can see how my post requires more info. Here goes:

Import-Module AppVClient
    Set-AppvClientConfiguration -PackageInstallationRoot E:\AppRoot
    *restart app-v service*
    Add-AppvClientPackage -Path D:\Packages\SAS9.3\SAS9.3.appv
    Publish-AppvClientPackage -Name SAS9.3 -Global

Fail! I then run this:

UnPublish-AppvClientPackage -Name SAS9.3 -Global
    Remove-AppvClientPackage -Name SAS9.3
    Set-AppvClientConfiguration -PackageInstallationRoot %programdata%\App-V
    *restart app-v service*
    Add-AppvClientPackage -Path D:\Packages\SAS9.3\SAS9.3.appv
    Publish-AppvClientPackage -Name SAS9.3 -Global

It works!

This is repeatable. Tried it on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 RDS with both the App-V5 SP1 client and the same for RDS.

Br,

Christopher

/Christopher

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:06 PM