Weird freezes RRS feed

• Question

• If anyone can help me fix this me will love you long time.  Anyway my problem is I'm using Win 7 64 bit and my computer, which is brand spanking new bought the parts for it during cyber Monday, would do these random small freezes.  I would still be able to move my mouse and when I'm my desktop the icon will highlight when my pointer is hovering over it, but it would will not let me click it and the computer would be unresponsive.  When I'm on Chrome, it would become unresponsive, but if I'm watching a video on youtube the video will still keep playing.  I play League of Legends and Diablo 3 and when I'm playing the game would either have its sound loop then go back to normal or sound loop and then screen freeze, but my pointer would still be able to move or the screen would flat out freeze and still my pointer would move.  Now I also play Hawken and I would play that game for 3 hours  and not one single problem would happen.  When I play league I would have my resource monitor, Speccy, and Evga Precision X running and there would be no unusual spikes/dips or anything out of the ordinary.  Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer and I can't pinpoint whats the cause.  I want to say its software related.  I ran an extended Memory Diagnostic over night and nothing came up

Here's my specs:

Gigabye Z77-D3H Intel Z77/rev 1.0 Mobo

F18 Bios (updated)

2x 4 gigs Kingston hyperx ram

I7 Processor 

Nividia Geforce GTX 660TI graphic card

OCZ 128 SSD hard drive

1000 watt OCZ ZX power supply

Anyway help would be mucho appreciated.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 3:48 AM

Answers

• So a fix that I'm trying is graphic related.  I found out that nvidia has this little problem where you have to manually input the driver in by first download the driver from the nividia site then go into the add and remove programs list to completely remove the old driver.  Then disconnect from the web so when you restart the computer it won't be able to search and dl the drivers automatically.  Then install the driver and restart the computer and then this might fix it.  What was happening was nvidia 's new drivers have a hard time of getting rid of the old ones so you would have to manually go in and get rid of the old ones so both of them are on and so its conflicting each others.  For those having this problem and have a nvidia card try this and see if it fixes ur problem.
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:14 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you remember if you made any changes before the freeze occurs?

We can do the following to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Temporarily turn off all the third party security programs and boot in Clean Boot  and safe mode to test the issue.

2. Optimize Windows 7 for better performance:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

3. Try the solution in this article: Windows hangs or freezes

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Same thing happens to me! Must be a windows 7 problem. My PC is garbage spec wise. I play League also and it will freeze from time to time (a lot actually), and the whole thing will freeze and stutter sound (M-M-M-M-M-M-Minions have S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Spawned!) or something like that. I had to disable the voice of champions and the announcer, got really annoying. Also my sound sometimes lags behind the champions actions and such. (Example: Ashe shoots volly, two seconds later I hear the sound for it.[But it doesn't happen a lot)

It's to the point where I can't even play the game. I can still move my mouse during it too btw.

Add me on League of Legends to talk about the issue: ThatsForTheBirds

If you find out anything please add me and help me too!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:55 AM
  • I tried the link didn't work.  As far as big changes goes no.  My timing and ram speed have not been changed they are at factory setting.  I would like to add that I noticed when these freezes occurs in my resource monitor under disk when the freezes happens my highest active time shoots up to 100% and my KB/sec Dick I/O flat lines.  I can't seem to find a definite answer on what that means.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:00 AM
  • whats the spec on you computer and wat version of win 7 do u have 32 or 64

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:32 PM
  • So a fix that I'm trying is graphic related.  I found out that nvidia has this little problem where you have to manually input the driver in by first download the driver from the nividia site then go into the add and remove programs list to completely remove the old driver.  Then disconnect from the web so when you restart the computer it won't be able to search and dl the drivers automatically.  Then install the driver and restart the computer and then this might fix it.  What was happening was nvidia 's new drivers have a hard time of getting rid of the old ones so you would have to manually go in and get rid of the old ones so both of them are on and so its conflicting each others.  For those having this problem and have a nvidia card try this and see if it fixes ur problem.
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:14 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:59 AM