none
Smtp load balancing

Question

• Hello,

I am completing the last phase of a exchange 2007 to 2013 migration, external (and internal) mail is currently routed through our exchange 2007 front NLB cas server.

I have a 2013 sp1 CU10 ip less dag with 3 nodes and all servers running cas/mb roles. We have a external host (vendor) that accepts mail from our external MX records. For smtp redundancy I'm going to:

External > Create another public IP, and route mail to 2 different dag servers from 3rd party gateway (through FW).

Internal > Create 2 dns A records (smtp.domain.com) with 2 different IPs pointing to 2 different host names of my dag servers (round robin). Point all internal apps to smtp.domain.com. My time is limited have not been able to test in lab. Is this a feasible solution?

thanks

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:43 PM

Answers

• in effect, the arquitecture of Mail Flow in Exchange 2007 was CAS based, so you can handle NLB for SMTP traffic. now in Exchange 2013 the HT is embedded so every Mailbox server sends out the mail, directly thought your NAT or public IP address.

Here you can download the poster of E2013 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39102

your mail will be routed from internet using the MX record, to your Firewall or Edge device, then passes to your HT services, to finally deliver the incoming email in the inbox of each recipient.

to send out, every Mailbox server will attempt to send directly, or thought the NAT/Edge device.

Regards.

Fabian Alberto Campo.

MCT/ MCSE + Messaging + Office365

Bogota-Colombia

Fabián A. Campo H. Consultor tecnico @ IXO Ltda. MCT MCP MCTS MCSA HP-APS Cra. 67 No. 167 – 61 of 303 Bogotá, Colombia

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:25 PM

All replies

• Sounds good to me Zachy22.

www.SuperTekBoy.com | Find me on Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:06 PM
  • in effect, the arquitecture of Mail Flow in Exchange 2007 was CAS based, so you can handle NLB for SMTP traffic. now in Exchange 2013 the HT is embedded so every Mailbox server sends out the mail, directly thought your NAT or public IP address.

Here you can download the poster of E2013 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39102

your mail will be routed from internet using the MX record, to your Firewall or Edge device, then passes to your HT services, to finally deliver the incoming email in the inbox of each recipient.

to send out, every Mailbox server will attempt to send directly, or thought the NAT/Edge device.

Regards.

Fabian Alberto Campo.

MCT/ MCSE + Messaging + Office365

Bogota-Colombia

Fabián A. Campo H. Consultor tecnico @ IXO Ltda. MCT MCP MCTS MCSA HP-APS Cra. 67 No. 167 – 61 of 303 Bogotá, Colombia

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:25 PM