none
Legacy Network adapter not present in Hyper-V Manager Add Hardware List

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have running win 2K12 R2 Data center and running Hyper-V on it. I have install win 2K12 R2 Standard on hyper-V running successfully. Then i go to create a Suse Linux SP2 11 on it and also disable "Enable Secure Boot" option. Now it stuck on Booting.After Searching i found that "Legacy Network Adapter" is also required for this but it not showing in the "Add Hardware" list. There are only "SCSI Controller" , Network Adapter" and " Fiber Channel Adapter" available.Help me for installing Suse Linux on Hyper-V.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Zargham.

It looks like that you have created a Generation2 VM which don't have all the "old" stuff like a legacy network adapter or IDE Controllers.

You need to create a generation 1 VM to use Suse 11 SP2 as a guest.

Or you go a bit up with the Suse Version.

Have a look at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531027(v=ws.12).aspx

Regards
    Olaf

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Strange, because when you create a VM, it says use gen 2 if you want to be able to use PXE boot, but apparently it doesn't work at all, and you actually need to use gen 1 and legacy network adapter.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 5:42 PM
  • PXE boot works on both Generation 1 and 2 VMs.  But the PXE image needs to have the proper drivers for either legacy or network adapter.  Some older version operating systems used as the PXE image don't support network adapter so they have to be Generation 1.

tim

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:06 PM