none
Can Message Analyzer retrieve symbols from a symbol server for WPP decode? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Really excited that MA now supports decoding WPP traces.  I'm looking forward to using all the searching and filtering functionality on my log traces.  Is there a way to instruct MA to get symbols from a symbol server or symbol server cache?

Ideally, if the tracepdb path was set, it would use _NT_SYMBOL_PATH.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks,

Eric

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:13 AM

Answers

• I think this should work when you use the option for PDB symbol resolution. That version also requires you to point to TracePDB, which is used to create the TMF.  Since TracePDB uses the symbol path, it should all just work.

But keep in mind that WPP often needs private symbols to decode.  So something like Microsoft's public web symbol server wouldn't work for Microsoft WPPs.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by sarman_1998 Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:10 PM

All replies

• I think this should work when you use the option for PDB symbol resolution. That version also requires you to point to TracePDB, which is used to create the TMF.  Since TracePDB uses the symbol path, it should all just work.

But keep in mind that WPP often needs private symbols to decode.  So something like Microsoft's public web symbol server wouldn't work for Microsoft WPPs.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by sarman_1998 Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:10 PM
  • Wanted to follow up and say that this is working great.  After pointing MA at my tracePDB.exe it is picking up the pdb path from my _NT_SYMBOL_PATH and decoding the .etl files.

Nice work!

Eric

Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:12 PM