none
How can I make the Project Owner the Status Manager? RRS feed

• Question

• I am experimenting with Project Server 2016.

We have a low maturity level at the moment so 'baby steps' is the implementation approach.

Resources will do task updates, (not timesheets), as % complete, (with some guidelines).

They will send Progress Updates to the schedule - though we could 'auto-send' if that is an option

If task updates have to be sent, the default has them sent to a user for approval for inclusion in the schedule, (I understand this and agree as the PM needs to view impact and act accordingly).

In our system, Projects may be created centrally by User A who then changes the own to User B, (owner becomes B).

Task updates seem to still default to being sent to user that created the Project, (user A in this instance).

So I have a Project owned/managed by User B but task progress updates are going to User A.

Is there a system default that sets task progress updates to always go to the 'Owner'?

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

If user A created the tasks then they will be the status manager by default. As part of the project ownership transfer, user b should open the project plan in project professional, insert the Status Manager Column and set themselves as the status manager for the tasks as required.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:14 AM
  • Thanks Paul.

I had hoped there was a non-task related option here as the way we are looking to work is to have the Project created by a central admin and then it is assigned to the relevant PM. If the PM changes or is out ill, I don't want to have to change the field each time on all tasks and at the moment don't need WBS or task-level approval, (not doing timesheets). Other option would be 'auto-approve'?

Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:53 PM
  • Hello,

unfortunately there is no way to automate this transfer of Owner other than what Paul has described.

And yes User A can set auto approval rule within his/her PWA approval page, if this works for you.

Khurram Jamshed | Blog |Twitter | Linkedin

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:46 AM
  • Use delegation when a  project manager goes out of the office. I am assuming that when a project manager is out of the office, there needs to be someone to approve task and timesheets and update projects .    it doesnt work from project pro, thoug

From PWA

1) Manage Delegates - setup a delegate to work in behalf of project manager

2) Delegates, logs in as himself, then acts as a delegate.  There is a bar on top of page that indicates that you are in delegation mode. 

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Sunday, December 4, 2016 3:30 PM