Losing Add-Ins When Opening Multiple .DOCM Files RRS feed

• Question

• Our engineers are opening some 2003 documents with macros and converting them to 2007 .docm files.  When they open up one file, the add-in toolbar is there with all the dropdown items and macros.  When they open another file, the toolbar is there but no dropdown and macros exist on the toolbar.  Anyone can reproduce the issue on another computer.  We also tried turning on and off trusting the macros and the same thing happens.  Here is some of the different ways the engineer tried:

In Word 2007:

·         I disabled the trusted location I added (My Documents).

·         I disabled Trust access to the VBA project object model.

·         I set macro security to Disable all macros with notification.

Observations:

·         When I open the first document (*.docm) and enable the content the calculation toolbar menu items are present.

·         When I open the second document (*.docm) and enable the content the calculation toolbar is present with no menu items.

·         It doesn’t matter how I open the files (i.e., from Windows Explorer or recent files).

·         It doesn’t matter the order the files are opened as long as the macros are enabled in the order the files were opened.

·         If the first document is a *.doc and the second is a *.docm then this behavior is observed.

·         If the first document is a *.docm and the second is a *.doc then this behavior is not observed.

I tried the following sequence:

1.       Open file A:

a.       Toolbar present, menu items present, macros disabled.

2.       Open file B:

a.       File A - Toolbar present, menu items present, macros disabled.

b.      File B - Toolbar present, menu items missing, macros disabled.

3.       Enable macros in file B:

a.       File B - Toolbar present, menu items missing, macros enabled (can run the macros manually).

b.      File A - Toolbar present, menu items present, macros disabled.

4.       Enable macros in file A:

a.       File A - Toolbar present, menu items missing, macros enabled (can run the macros manually).

b.      File B - Toolbar present, menu items present, macros enabled.

5.       Close File A:

a.       File B - Toolbar present, menu items present, macros enabled.

6.       Re-Open File A:

a.       File A - Toolbar present, menu items present, macros disabled.

7.       Enable macros in file A:

a.       File A - Toolbar present, menu items missing, macros enabled (can run the macros manually).

8.       Close File B:

a.       File A - Toolbar present, menu items present, macros enabled.

9.       Re-Open File A:

b.      File B - Toolbar present, menu items missing, macros disabled

10.   Enable macros in file B:

b.      File B - Toolbar present, menu items missing, macros enabled (can run the macros manually).

I stopped after that…

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, September 2, 2011 6:17 AM (From:Office 2007 Application Compatibility)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• Are the files all based off the same template and has that template been converted?

Click on Developer Tab, choose Document Template. At the top under Document Template, see what the template name is.

If the template is still it dot format, try converting it to the new format. Make a backup of the dot file first.

Under the developer tab, try attaching the converted template to the files and see if this makes a difference.

Thanks, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:48 PM
    Answerer
  • What shows up under the Add-Ins tab is not things in Add-Ins but legacy controls like menus and toolbar modifications that are contained in:

1. The currently open document/template.
    2. The attached template for the currently open document.
    3. Global templates including Add-Ins and normal.dotm.

So, you may see different contents on this tab depending on which templates are "loaded" as global templates, which is attached, and the contents of the open document/template.

If you need help with these concepts, see Templates in Microsoft Word.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:21 PM
  • See my previous response. What shows up under the Add-Ins tab depends on what modifications are available to the active document.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:23 PM