none
tasks being extended without work RRS feed

• Question

• We are on Project Pro 2010 with Project Server 2010.

We've started to see a large number of instances across our portfolio where a task's duration is being extended beyond the period where work is scheduled. An example would be a task is baselined at 10 days duration, with work planned on each of the 10 days. The PM opens the schedule and the task is now 30 days in duration, with no change to the original work profile, the work still ends on the 10th day, but the finish date has been pushed out with no additional work being added.  This has occurred with all task types (fixed duration, work, and units).

If we "fix" the task so that it reflects the accurate finish date, save and exit the schedule, when the schedule is reopened the task has reverted to the "corrupted" state.  We've also seen many instances where the user increases the remaining work on a task (via the task form) and the new work is pushed way into the future with no work scheduled between the original planned work and the additional work that was added. This can also occur if the new work is being added in the task or resource usage views.

So far, the only "permanent" fix found has been to create a new task mimicking the baseline of the original task (copying all baseline info from the original task to a new task and manually time-phasing the work on the new task to match how it was defined on the old task.

Once the task has been replicated, the original task is deleted.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  We are in the process of opening a ticket with Microsoft, but I'm not holding my breath for a quick fix.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

• Edited by dfeigen115 Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:46 PM

All replies

• I am sure that this is probably not something which requires a "fix", but rather is the result of user method.

But it is very difficult if not impossible to know where to start without seeing an example.

Do you have screenshots?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:42 PM