Exchange 2003 Standard - Restoring priv1.stm question -please help! RRS feed

• Question

• Using SBS 2003 - Exchange 2003 SP2 Standard Edition

The Priv1.stm file became corrupt and our recent backups failed (checksum mismatch error reported in previous post). If we can restore that file from last known good backup on 8/3/13, is it ok to have the priv1.edb file be from a more recent (the current) date or do these files have to be dated the same? 

If we can just restore the priv1.stm, does that mean we only lose email that was sent/received using OWA since last backup?  Or does it mean we lose all sent/received emails regardless if OWA was used (Users use Outlook)?  We don't have many OWA users so we could lose that mail since 8/3/13.

Here is image of 4 database files taken today (8/7/13):

Thank you!

Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If your last backup is full backup, you can restore your data completely. If your last backup is not full backup, you only restore a specific time.

If you restore the priv1.stm and your last backup is full backup, you can restore all messages that are sent/received by owa, but you will lose all messages that are sent/received by outlook if your outlook uses MAPI method to connect your exchange server.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by cara chen Friday, August 9, 2013 7:31 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:08 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If your last backup is full backup, you can restore your data completely. If your last backup is not full backup, you only restore a specific time.

If you restore the priv1.stm and your last backup is full backup, you can restore all messages that are sent/received by owa, but you will lose all messages that are sent/received by outlook if your outlook uses MAPI method to connect your exchange server.

Cara Chen

• Edited by cara chen Friday, August 9, 2013 7:31 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:08 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Hi -your answer was spot-on! Our backup from 8/1/13 was full backup and we restored using our Yosemite Server Backup software (uses the Exchange Agent). It does not allow to restore individual database files in EXCH 2003 -- only the complete Storage Group. We have a mail archiver in place to be able to pull the last week of mail as PSTs, so thinking our Outlook users would see data as of 8/1, I decided to go for it and import PSTs back into Outlook.

However, after restore, all current data was in Exchange for all Outlook users and I did not have to use the Mail Archiver.  Why is that?

How can I check to see what method Outlook is using to connect to exchange?  I know we are in cached mode.

Not sure why I could not get this kind of answer from anyone else--always suggesting new hardware and upgrade --which is coming but not within hours!

Thank you very much!

Friday, August 9, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hello,

Does mail archive refer pst files. If so, all current data was in Exchange for all Outlook users.

When you use outlook cached mode, you can create a pst file to saved your messages to your local, but your messages also saved on your exchange server.

I don't understand that sentence "How can I check to see what method Outlook is using to connect to exchange?  I know we are in cached mode." Do you mean cached mode or online mode or other? If you mean cached mode or online mode, you can check your account settings to check the mode.

Cara Chen

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:23 AM