none
Setting up a user home directory

Question

• I would like to set up a 'Home Directory' for users to use when they log in rather than their 'My Documents' folder on their computer. I have been all over the net learning about how to and I believe that I have the jest however, our set up is at 3 separate locations with users at each. I am still not clear how this should be setup in our environment that would not incur bottlenecks and slow access over a WAN. Ideally, I would like user A files stored on server A so that when user A logs in, he is doing so locally but still within the domain. Is it possible to have each user on the same domain to log into the server at their location for their Home Directory? Thanks

Our setup: one forest

Server A. Primary domain. Windows Server Standard R2. 30 users

Server B. Backup domain. Windows Server Standard R2. 25 users

Server C. Backup domain. Windows Server Standard R2. 10 users

All 3 locations are on a static VPN with replication

Monday, March 28, 2016 5:51 PM

Answers

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cb8ceb41-22af-4509-821a-746af7669b33/create-a-user-home-directory-using-group-policy-server-2008?forum=winserverGP

Have a different gpo for each domain pointing to the specific server. 

• Marked as answer by bizzie247 Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:09 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 6:12 PM

All replies

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cb8ceb41-22af-4509-821a-746af7669b33/create-a-user-home-directory-using-group-policy-server-2008?forum=winserverGP

Have a different gpo for each domain pointing to the specific server. 

• Marked as answer by bizzie247 Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:09 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

There actually are three ways that you can use to achieve this.

- Old fashioned, but still valid. There is an attribute in AD that defined the user home directory. As you have only a handful of users you can manually (or in a scripted way) set that attribute for each of them. This way you have granular control and ensure transparent settings (you can always check where is the home directory stored by  simply looking at user properties)

- GPO. If you want to make sure that a use stores gets it's files from the closest server and automatically switches to the other server when moving between locations, you may want to setup three AD sites and assign a GPO that defines a home directory to each of them. YOu will have to think of a ways to sync data between the server then though (something like DFS-R for example), as all three servers will have to store user files for this setup to work.

- GPO again. If there is no need to switch beteen servers, but you want to control the home directory using GPos, you may create three GPOs and implement security filtering for each of them. Then you will have three AD groups which will control which server user uses to store its home directory.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:20 PM