none
Restore to new SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Every once in a while I need to add the DPM agent to a SQL server just before restoring a backup to it. 

Unfortunately, there seems to be a long delay between the time that I install the agent on a SQL server and the time that the new SQL server shows up in the list of alternate SQL servers.

Is there a way I can reduce the time it takes to have the new server show up in the list for recovery?

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:17 PM

Answers

• I was able to 'see' the issue.

Not sure if you still have some SQL servers to add. If you do, once you install the agent, just go to create protection group or Modify protection group.

Select the new SQL server and expand it. Once you see the SQL icon in the list, just cancel the wizard. Then go back to Recovery tab and check if the new server shows up when you try to restore to an alternate SQL Server.

For me this made the server to show up right away.

I am checking when/where DPM decides to 'add' this server to the list without us having to do these steps above.

Let me know if this 'workaround' works for you in the meantime.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by ShaunInCali Monday, February 6, 2012 5:22 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi ShaunInCali,

Have you tried doing a manual install on one of these SQL servers to see if it speeds things up for you?

You can follow the steps here:

http://www.buchatech.com/2009/07/manually-install-the-dpm-agent/

This is for 2007 but will work for 2010 as well. Let me know if this makes the process go any faster.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Hi Shaun,

What you are saying is that you do install the DPM agent on that SQL server and it shows as Ok if you check the agent status under Management/Agents.

Then when you start a recovery process and you select to restore the DB to an alternate location, that server that you just installed the DPM agent doesn't show up in the list right away. You need to wait a certain period of time and then retry the restore process and at that time the SQL server you wish to restore the data to shows up in the list. Is this statement correct?

In your experiense, how long does it take for that Server to show up there?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.  I've been out of town on holiday and am just catching up now. 

Wilson, you are exactly right.  In my experience it can take 30-60 minutes for the server to show up, sometimes longer.  I now try to time it so that I install the agent on the new server, go home, and restore in the morning.

The issue is that sometimes we need to put up a new server and restore DB's to it more quickly and it holds up our entire process. 

I'm hoping this is improved in 2012 or that there's a work-around for it. 

Buchatech, I haven't yet tried the manual install method but will be doing that next time and will report back with the results.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Ok...

Let me check if I can repro this scenario.

For you this is reproducible 100% of the time?

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Yeah, this happens every time.  Thanks!

We run Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 with SQL 2008 R2 with SP1 on most database servers.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:47 PM
  • How many servers with agents this DPM server has on its agent list?
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:48 PM
  • There are 41 computers in the "protected" state and 52 in the "unprotected" state.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:53 PM
  • I was able to 'see' the issue.

Not sure if you still have some SQL servers to add. If you do, once you install the agent, just go to create protection group or Modify protection group.

Select the new SQL server and expand it. Once you see the SQL icon in the list, just cancel the wizard. Then go back to Recovery tab and check if the new server shows up when you try to restore to an alternate SQL Server.

For me this made the server to show up right away.

I am checking when/where DPM decides to 'add' this server to the list without us having to do these steps above.

Let me know if this 'workaround' works for you in the meantime.

• Marked as answer by ShaunInCali Monday, February 6, 2012 5:22 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Thanks Wilson! 

I"ll try this work-around next week when I'll be adding a new SQL server.

Thanks!

--Shaun

Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Just tried this and it appears to be working.  I've only tried it with a cluster so far, but will update as soon as I add a single db server.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:23 PM