none
Outlook 2019, (stand alone); MAK license key not activating RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased Outlook 2019 as a stand alone app. We have a volume license through MPSA.

Using the Office Customization Tool I customized our Office Configuration file with our MAK and used the Office CDN to automatically download the Outlook(office) files.

Last month when I ran the configuration tool it downloaded the files, installed them and now almost 30 days later it's asking for a License key to be able to use Outlook desktop.

When I click the link to 'change product key' and I input our MAK key it comes back with an error message stating;

"This product key is for the volume-licensed version of Microsoft Outlook 2019, which isn't currently installed. To use this product key contact your administrator".

When I go into my list of installed apps it shows; Microsoft Office Standard 2019 installed 12/17/2019.

I am the administrator and I got the key off the Microsoft Business website via our account.

What do I need to do to correct this? My users want Outlook desktop to work.

Here is my Configuration file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<Configuration ID="ed6879db-7c24-4ff7-a9d4-be4094fcfb2e">

-<Add Channel="PerpetualVL2019" OfficeClientEdition="64">

-<Product ID="Standard2019Volume" PIDKEY="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX">

<Language ID="en-us"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="Excel"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="Groove"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="OneNote"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="PowerPoint"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="Publisher"/>

<ExcludeApp ID="Word"/>

</Product>

</Add>

<Property Value="0" Name="SharedComputerLicensing"/>

<Property Value="TRUE" Name="PinIconsToTaskbar"/>

<Property Value="0" Name="SCLCacheOverride"/>

<Property Value="1" Name="AUTOACTIVATE"/>

<Property Value="FALSE" Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN"/>

<Property Value="0" Name="DeviceBasedLicensing"/>

<Updates Enabled="TRUE"/>

<RemoveMSI/>

-<AppSettings>

<User Value="0" Name="runosc" Id="L_TurnOffOutlookSocialConnector" App="outlk16" Type="REG_DWORD" Key="software\microsoft\office\outlook\socialconnector"/>

</AppSettings>

<Logging Path="c:\" Level="Standard"/>

</Configuration>

This is the first time I've done an App install in this manner, I'm thinking I missed something?

Brad

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:54 PM

Answers

• I figured out what happened after a lot of reading and some trial and error.

The Office Customization Tool is nice but it is not complete, if you use just the OCT to build your Configuration.xml file it could leave you with a misleading install and activation errors or no activation at all.

The Products field is lacking choices of proper product ID's, I was trying to install Outlook 2019, my closest choice was Office Std 2019. When you select that as your Product you are given the choice(s) of what part of Office you'd like to install. I chose Outlook.

cont'd

• Marked as answer by bsford Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:36 PM
  • I also chose to use the Microsoft website to download the files from (Office CDN); assuming
    it would install the correct App files I needed. <o:p></o:p>

After running the Office Deployment Tool and my custom configuration.xml file Outlook 2019
    installed without any problems. Users used it for almost 30 days before being
    prompting for a Product Key and stopping them from using the full Program. <o:p></o:p>

When I tried to reenter the Product Key straight into the program by clicking on
    "Change Product Key" I got this error message:<o:p></o:p>

"This product key is for the volume-licensed version of Microsoft Outlook 2019, which
    isn't currently installed." Yet I have Outlook 2019 running on our
    machines! <o:p></o:p>

After a lot more reading and a couple more trials and error I figured out if you let the
    OCT default to Office Std 2019 your configuration file looks like this:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

That's what is wrong and your Product (in my case Outlook 2019) won't activate. <o:p></o:p>

It needs to be corrected to read this:

I had to download Microsoft's XML Notepad to be able to edit my configuration.xml file
    for this to work. I also had to uninstall the MS Office Std 2019 and rerun the
    Configuration.xml file to redownload and install the correct Outlook 2019. <o:p></o:p>

I hope this makes sense and can help anyone else you may run into this problem. <o:p></o:p>

Brad

• Edited by bsford Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:41 PM edit paragraphs
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:40 PM

All replies

• I figured out what happened after a lot of reading and some trial and error.

The Office Customization Tool is nice but it is not complete, if you use just the OCT to build your Configuration.xml file it could leave you with a misleading install and activation errors or no activation at all.

The Products field is lacking choices of proper product ID's, I was trying to install Outlook 2019, my closest choice was Office Std 2019. When you select that as your Product you are given the choice(s) of what part of Office you'd like to install. I chose Outlook.

cont'd

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:36 PM
  • I also chose to use the Microsoft website to download the files from (Office CDN); assuming
    it would install the correct App files I needed. <o:p></o:p>

After running the Office Deployment Tool and my custom configuration.xml file Outlook 2019
    installed without any problems. Users used it for almost 30 days before being
    prompting for a Product Key and stopping them from using the full Program. <o:p></o:p>

When I tried to reenter the Product Key straight into the program by clicking on
    "Change Product Key" I got this error message:<o:p></o:p>

"This product key is for the volume-licensed version of Microsoft Outlook 2019, which
    isn't currently installed." Yet I have Outlook 2019 running on our
    machines! <o:p></o:p>

After a lot more reading and a couple more trials and error I figured out if you let the
    OCT default to Office Std 2019 your configuration file looks like this:<o:p></o:p>

That's what is wrong and your Product (in my case Outlook 2019) won't activate. <o:p></o:p>

It needs to be corrected to read this:

I had to download Microsoft's XML Notepad to be able to edit my configuration.xml file
    for this to work. I also had to uninstall the MS Office Std 2019 and rerun the
    Configuration.xml file to redownload and install the correct Outlook 2019. <o:p></o:p>

I hope this makes sense and can help anyone else you may run into this problem. <o:p></o:p>

Brad

• Edited by bsford Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:41 PM edit paragraphs
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:40 PM
  • Hi Brad,

I'm glad to see you have fixed your problem and thanks for your sharing:)

>> I hope this makes sense and can help anyone else you may run into this problem.

This is very useful, it is suggested to mark your post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:24 AM
  • Hi Brad,

Do you mind helping mark the post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:57 AM