Reboot much slower than cold start on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• When I reboot the computer, it appears as if it is not going to start back up.  After the shut down part of a reboot, it sits in state where it looks like it is not even trying to start for about 2 minutes before lights start flashing and Windows starts booting again.  The screen is just blank and I see and hear no activity.  I thought the machine was dead and I was trying to force reboot reboot several times by holding down the power button until I got sidetracked and came back 5 minutes later to find that it did eventually reboot on its own.  Then I tried again and sat and watched it with a timer and realized there was a consistent 2 minute delay on the way back up from a restart.

If It do a full shut down and manual startup, it boots at a normal speed.

The system has SSD drive, 16GB RAM, Bitlocker enabled and Hyper-V enabled.  Do any of those things cause a very long delay starting up? BIOS setting?

• Edited by MyGposts Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:24 AM

Answers

• Use xbootmgr from the WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt.aspx) and run this command from a cmd prompt with admin rights:

xbootmgr -trace rebootCycle -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Zip the ETL file from C:\temp and upload it.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, May 8, 2013 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:45 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Use xbootmgr from the WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt.aspx) and run this command from a cmd prompt with admin rights:

xbootmgr -trace rebootCycle -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Zip the ETL file from C:\temp and upload it.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, May 8, 2013 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:45 AM
    Answerer
  • While I still suggest following Andre's instructions, note that simply clicking Shut Down invokes Fast Startup, which means a shut down and then starting up will be fast. Wheras, Restart does NOT invoke Fast Startup, so it will be slower than shut down, but not several minutes slower!
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:15 PM