Skype Online users can't communicate to one external sip domain. RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to communicate from skype Online to a sister company, our users get the following error.  However, it works from our on-prem environment.

ms-diagnostics: 1017;reason="Cannot route From and To domains in this combination";cause="Possible server configuration issue";summary="Domain type analysis indicates that the ms-split-domain-info header in the message is the wrong type";external-domain="****prem.com";external-type="domain-type-remote";internal-domain="***online.com";internal-type="domain-type-none";source="sipfed1A.online.lync.com";source-server="SN11A00EDG08.infra.lync.com"

DNS all seems right, and it doesn't affect any other domains that we know of.

The one thing different is this domain is part of our office 365 tenant as we manage other pieces of the business, just not Skype.

Ideas?

I've opened a office 365 case, but have gotten nothing but a list of URLs to consult.

Thanks,

Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Chad,

You have a hybird environment? Which ways does the on-premise users communicate with your sister company? Federations?  Or the sister company used your subdomian?

Based on your log, I find a KB about this issue, you could refer to the following link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/3124484/skype-for-business-online-users-in-an-office-365-domain-can-t-im-or-de

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, October 12, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I've read that link you provided, and I guess I just don't understand.

The on-prem environment I want to reach does not have a hybrid setting.  Where should both sets of DNS records point to?

The sister company does not use our sip domain as they are 100% stand alone for Skype.  The can communicate with our On-prem environment, so it's an issue between O-365 and their environment.

Thanks again,

Friday, October 12, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Hey Hi !

When you say the sister company domain is part of your Office 365, do you also sync the AD objects from sister company domain's Active Directory? If yes; the error is expected..

In this case you need to ensure all the MSRTCSIP-** attributes should not be synced between Sister company AD and your O365 directory.. 

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates for this issue, if the reply is helpful, please try to mark it as an answer,  it will help others who have similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 15, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Are there any updates for this issue, if the reply is helpful, please try to mark it as an answer,  it will help others who have similar issue.

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, October 19, 2018 7:40 PM