BSOD and Recovery Console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a HP 520 Notebook with Windows XP SP3, which is showing a Blue Screen on Normal Startup. And also in Safe Mode after Mup.sys.

To do a System Restore, I tried using the ERD Commander but it does not recognize the OS, and thus the System Restore option does not work. Though it shows the Hard Disk, and the data on it.

I looked around for a solution to this problem, and found that fixing the MBR may set the things right for me. Now, when I am using the XP (SP2) disk to enter the Recovery Console and run the Fixmbr command, I am not able to. As it is asking me for the Administrator password and not accepting the one provided by me. I tried leaving it blank too, and also with my Administrator account password. But strangely, nothing worked!

I also tried repairing the OS with the XP disk, but that option doesn't show up after going through the Installation option. And the disk shows many more partitions than I see on my disk from inside Windows.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Yagyesh

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• If you are unable to log onto your Windows with the Recovery Console, you have a problem.  You could perhaps try to boot with Hiren's boot CD, and reset the Administrator password in the SAM.  Then you may be able to log on to the Recovery Console.

I am not sure if the Hiren's boot CD comes with a System Restore tool, but if you can log onto the Recovery Console with the Windows installation CD, then you can do a command-line system restore.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Thanks for the response,

I downloaded and used the Hiren's Boot CD 14 to reset the password. Initially upon selecting one of the 4 partitions found (this partition said BOOT), I got the Error: SAM registry file(which contains user data) is not loaded! Then I tried selecting another partition assuming my previous selection to be incorrect. Then it showed me the Administrator and the User of the computer which I could recognize. I went ahead and changed the password (for Administrator) to BLANK (by selecting the 1st option from the Menu).

Then I logged into the Recovery Console and gave the password as BLANK, but again got the message Invalid Password. (This time I am using XP SP3 CD disk.)

I tried again with the Hiren's Boot CD to change the Administrator password in case I made a mistake in my previous attempt. But it shows me, " No NT MD4 hash found. This user probably has a BLANK password!" And, "No LANMAN hash found either. Sorry, cannot change. Try login with no password!" Still I went ahead and selected the 2nd option to set new password, but it returned back the message, "Sorry, unable to edit since password seems blank already (thus no space for it).

What can I do now, and what am I doing wrongly?

Regards
    Yagyesh

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:34 AM
  • What I would do next is re-format the hard drive, and re-install Windows.  You can save your information first, by installing a second drive, and installing Windows on that.  Then retrieve the data from the drive that won't boot.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:15 AM
  •  

Thanks for the response,

What I did: Put the hard disk in a SATA Hard Disk Casing, and connected it to another computer. Then used FixMbr utility to fix the MBR of this disk. And Hooray! It worked......After I removed the disk from the Casing and put it back into the laptop, Windows started up (first in Safe Mode, and then normally).

But, after logging in, the programs, like Excel, and Word are giving problems in starting....like Unable to link to OLE objects, and unable to access that resource....etc. No files are getting Copied and Pasted in Windows. When a Window is open, it doesn't show up on teh Task Bar....all so STRANGE!

Do anybody have any ideas on what is wrong???

And, yeah I checked that the Administrator account password was BLANK...so I understand that teh Hiren's Password Reset worked....But still, Windows was saying Invalid Password when I was trying to use the Recovery Console from the XP media (to run the FixMbr utility.) Do anybody know why is that???

Do you know of any utilities which could Check a Hard Disk and give Results which help in taking the decision if I should continue to use it, or put it in the bin...?

Regards
    Yagyesh

Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:45 PM