What is the correct way to clean up primary & replica servers? RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting conflicting reports on how this should be done.

My assumption is that if I clean up the primary of obsolete & superseded updates when the replicas synchronize, they will update themselves to match the primary.

A PowerShell cleanup script I found had a Microsoft response that said otherwise. The rep said you need to clean up the replicas first, then do the primary last.

What is the right way to do this?

Thursday, December 8, 2016 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hi JHBPJF,

Apologize for my mistake, my last reply is not for replica WSUS server, it's for autonomous downstream WSUS server. (Sorry, I haven't notice replica last time).

Server Cleanup Wizard is a per-server operation. For upstream and replica downstream deployment. It's recommended to run Server Cleanup Wizard on upstream WSUS first, then on replica servers. Since if we run SCW on replica first, then replica will sync from Upstream again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi JHBPJF,

If the upstream WSUS server do not have the updates needing to be downloaded by downstream WSUS server, then the upstream WSUS server will download the updates locally, then downstream WSUS server download the update file from upstream WSUS server.

So, it's possible that there are updates do not needed by upstream WSUS server while needed by downstream WSUS server.

It's recommended to make the products and classifications to be same on upstream WSUS server and downstream WSUS server, and do Server Cleanup Wizard on the downstream WSUS server, then on Upstream WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 9, 2016 2:47 AM
  • Hi JHBPJF,

If the upstream WSUS server do not have the updates needing to be downloaded by downstream WSUS server, then the upstream WSUS server will download the updates locally, then downstream WSUS server download the update file from upstream WSUS server.

So, it's possible that there are updates do not needed by upstream WSUS server while needed by downstream WSUS server.

It's recommended to make the products and classifications to be same on upstream WSUS server and downstream WSUS server, and do Server Cleanup Wizard on the downstream WSUS server, then on Upstream WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Why does this all matter if they are replicas? I don't set language, classifications, products, any of this on replicas. A replica is a replica of the primary WSUS server.

• Edited by IAMGR00T Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:17 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:16 AM
  • Hi JHBPJF,

Apologize for my mistake, my last reply is not for replica WSUS server, it's for autonomous downstream WSUS server. (Sorry, I haven't notice replica last time).

Server Cleanup Wizard is a per-server operation. For upstream and replica downstream deployment. It's recommended to run Server Cleanup Wizard on upstream WSUS first, then on replica servers. Since if we run SCW on replica first, then replica will sync from Upstream again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, December 19, 2016 2:49 AM