none
Can ping a website but Web Browser won't display it on Windows 10 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    I have a Dell Precision M4600 and I've upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Everything works on it just fine, I can even using the Edge Browser or Internet Explorer to browse to websites....except one.  I try to go to a certain SharePoint site on the Office365 platform and I always get that the browser can't display the page, however I can ping it.  Also when trying to download files from the Office365 site I get an error and it won't download as well.  The error just says that its unable to download.  This is the same behavior that i get from the Edge Browser as well as Google Chrome Browser. When I use another PC that's the same model and same Windows 10 version (Ent), I can use Internet Explorer, the Edge Browser, and Chrome Browser to access the website just fine. 

    I've tried disabling the firewall, disabling AV, I've flushed the DNS, I've released and renewed the IP, I've disabled and re-enabled the NIC card, I've changed the ip address the DNS is pointing to, I've made sure no proxy was configured, and I've refreshed the TCP/IP Stacks, I've also done a malware scan to make sure that isn't an issue. None of those things work.  On the affected PC is there anything else that I can try to fix this issue? 

    Monday, May 16, 2016 11:17 PM

Answers

  • I actually found the answer to the problem....

    After running Internet Explorer in Debugger Mode as Rick_Li suggested, it kept saying that it was a DNS error.  That's after I've ran an ipconfig /flushdns, and ipconfig /release & renew.  I also edited the DNS instead of having it dynamically assigned, lastly I tried a usb wifi adapter.  Using all of those methods still showed DNS error in the IE debugger.

    So next I checked the PC's host file and there were incorrect entries in it.... Once I edited that, everything worked....

    • Marked as answer by w_washington Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:39 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    a guess would be that you have ActiveX filtering turned on for the site? PDF documents in MSIE browsers are handled by third-party Addons (ActiveX controls like Adobe's PDF viewer). In Windows 10 there is a native PDF viewer store app. Known issues in Win7 to 10 migration include conflicts with legacy third-party PDF viewer plugins.

    If possible please include the full address of any websites that you are having problems with so that we can visit them to make some tests.

    To debug the issue yourself, first for IE

    Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages".

    Save you changes....

    Open IE at a blank page(about:blank) and then display the dev tool (f12)>Debug tab, select "Break on all exceptions" from the dropdown on the debug tab. Optionally turn on Networking capture by clicking the start button, (also select the "Always refresh from server button" if you recently visited the site).

    Return to the blank web page without closing the dev tool and navigate by typing the address to your O365 site......

    Any (otherwise suppressed scripting or blocked content (ActiveX filtering or Tracking Protection) will be listed in console tab of dev tools. The Networking tab will list the request and response headers and content. You should check any requests for PDF content include the correct mime-type (application/pdf).

    Regards.


    Rob^_^

    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:17 AM
  • Hi,

    The website that I'm trying to go to is https://sqsusa930.sharepoint.com 

    My upgrade from Win7 to Win10 wasn't a migration, but a clean install.... 

    Also the files that I am having problems downloading from the sharepoint online site is more than just PDF docs.  It also includes Word docs, Excel docs and Powerpoint docs.... Those are the types that I've noticed thus far.... 

    I'll try the dev tool and see what happens... 

    • Marked as answer by w_washington Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by w_washington Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:52 AM
  • I actually found the answer to the problem....

    After running Internet Explorer in Debugger Mode as Rick_Li suggested, it kept saying that it was a DNS error.  That's after I've ran an ipconfig /flushdns, and ipconfig /release & renew.  I also edited the DNS instead of having it dynamically assigned, lastly I tried a usb wifi adapter.  Using all of those methods still showed DNS error in the IE debugger.

    So next I checked the PC's host file and there were incorrect entries in it.... Once I edited that, everything worked....

    • Marked as answer by w_washington Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:39 PM