none
DPM 2016 Backup Guest Cluster w/Shared VHDs RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2016 on a physical 2016 Server.

I am migrating my four node 2012 R2 cluster to a four node 2016 cluster.  As it stands, the four new 2016 nodes have been added to the 2012 R2.  The VMs are able to migrate from node to node without issue.  However, I have three, 2-node guest clusters.  Each have at least 2 shared VHDs.  If the guest cluster nodes are on a 2012 R2 node, then DPM is able to back the VM up without a problem.  However, if I move one or both of the guest cluster nodes to a 2016 node, DPM will not back up the VM.  Instead of a backup in DPM, a checkpoint is created in Hyper-V.

Any ideas?

Thx

Rob Nunley

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:41 PM

Answers

• Heard back from Microsoft.  Here it is:

Hello Rob,

We got the confirmation from our Program manager that VHD Sets are not supported in DPM 2016.

Can you please open a line item for the same here? It would really help us in taking this forward.

Regards

Aayoosh Moitro

Rob Nunley

• Marked as answer by rnunley Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:56 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 4:57 PM

All replies

• I ran in to this as well. I even went through the trouble of cleaning up the snapshots by merging all the AVHDX files up the chain to end up with a single VHDX and then rebuilt the VM using that VHDX.

Now it won't let me protect it because I am not using a VHD Set instead of a shared VHD.  I need to schedule a change window, but I think the solution is to shut down all members that are sharing that VHD and convert it to a VHD Set and then add them back using the new 2016 VHD Set option.

http://www.tech-coffee.net/shared-virtual-hard-disks-in-hyper-v-2016/

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server-2016/convert-shared-vhdx-vhd-set-windows-server-2016

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:30 PM
  • What workloads do you have in those guest clusters? How do you backup those workloads, do you backup the entire VM (Hyper-V cluster backup) or via the applicaton aware backup like SQL server?
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 11:02 PM
  • Hi Seth,

Have you been able to successfully convert from shared vhd to vhd sets?  If so, how painful was it? :)

Rob Nunley

Monday, January 30, 2017 11:49 PM
  • Hi Christian,

I am backing up the workloads via the DPM application agent.  The workloads are backed up just fine.  It's the actual vm I am having a problem with. 

Rob Nunley

Monday, January 30, 2017 11:52 PM
  • Rob,
    I haven't had a chance yet.  I hope to get a change window this week to do it. 

I'll report back once I get a shot at it.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:26 PM
  • That's why we don't see any problems. We backup our SQL Server Failovercluster (Shared VHDX) with the SQL protection option, we don't backup at the VM level.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Thanks Seth. I opened a ticket with the Microsoft DPM group a couple weeks ago. After they could not figure out what was going on, they told me backing up VMs with shared VHDs was not supported - it works just fine on 2012R2 nodes. So I asked if VHD Sets were supported and they have not gotten back to me yet.

I am anxious to hear how the conversion goes from shared to sets and then if DPM will perform the backup.

Thanks again!

Rob Nunley

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:38 PM
  • Rob, curious to hear what answer you get from MS. 

We have 2016 HV cluster with DPM 2016 and guest cluster (SQL) configured using .VHDS (VHD Set) and DPM cannot backup this configuration as of now.

Despite what one would believe from the marketing materials (aka improvements of VHD set over older standard shared VHDX), you cannot even take a checkpoint (production/standard) of these VMs and therefore DPM cannot back them up either.

Reason is that dreaded message (see below) some people have encountered and obviously MS didn't test this scenario at all, or they would have discovered this problem on first try ...

Error message: "Cannot take checkpoint for <VMNAME> because one or more shareable VHDX are attached and this is not part of a checkpoint collection". I would assume this is referring to the OS drive, which obviously cannot be shared, but that's only my guess.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0d6cddde-3ff3-4a50-a627-6ad7bf7667fd/cannot-create-checkpoint-when-shared-vhdset-vhds-is-used-by-vm-not-part-of-a-checkpoint?forum=winserverClustering

You don't even need guest cluster to test this, all you have to do is create a VM, add a shared disk (using VHD Set) and there you go, you cannot take checkpoint/backup the VM.

• Edited by MarkosP Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Heard back from Microsoft.  Here it is:

Hello Rob,

We got the confirmation from our Program manager that VHD Sets are not supported in DPM 2016.

Can you please open a line item for the same here? It would really help us in taking this forward.

Regards

Aayoosh Moitro

Rob Nunley

• Marked as answer by rnunley Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:56 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

I'm speechless, however I'm surprised things like this still surprise me .... So now that's 2 Hyper-V and SC generations where you can't backup one of their prominent feature that was supposed to replace "inferior" guest clusters using iSCSI etc.

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Added a suggestion in the feedback forum:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup-and-scdpm

Rob Nunley

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Upvoted
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:40 PM