Server Rack Build RRS feed

• Question

• I will be working on setting up a server rack in the near future. To give it a nice clean look I would like to mount my switch facing the BACK of the rack so that the network cables come out of the back of our servers and into the switches and from the front you would only see a blank plate covering the slot. Easy enough I know. However, my boss "likes to see the activity lights" on the switch for each server from the front of the racks. 

SO my question for you is do they make such a device that is a gigabit switch (or patch panel) that has a separate piece that could be mounted on the front of the server rack that would reflect the port number and activity light for each port on a switch? 

I hope this question makes sense... this would allow all of the cable work to be done on the back of the server rack and still allow you to see the activity of a particular port on the front of the rack. Yes I realize that servers have a NIC status light on the front of them (at least ours do anyway) but that's not what my boss wants. I'm trying to find something that will make us both happy!
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hello there,

I understand what you mean, unfortunately in all of the data-centers and builds that I've done I've never seen any that are just for showing that information in the front of the rack.

There was a patch panel that came to my mind that was great for keeping your rack clean and easy traces to different cables however it didn't have any activity lights and these things were huge. Took up 24U each. Check with some local cabler's, they may know of some patch panels that do have activity lights on them.
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:49 PM