Office 365 integration fails with "An Unknown Error Occured" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with a brand new fully updated Server 2012 R2 Essentials server and a new Office 365 account. The O365 account is setup at a very basic level - I have the administrator account and everything else has not yet been configured.

As Server Essentials has integration with O365, I ran the tool to complete that integration. It fails with a SUPER helpful "An unknown error has occurred" message with no other indication of what the problem may be, and no troubleshooting hints other than a reboot of the server (which did not help.) The event log shows nothing. Perhaps this tool creates a log file - somewhere - that may be helpful. Any ideas?

The TechNet article covering this process assumes that the connection wizard will work perfectly, and doesn't state if there are any other setup requirements for the O365 account. It also does not mention any troubleshooting steps. A funny thing is that the article shows my exact error as part of "UN-installing" rather than "Installing."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj593240.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_Troubleshoot

With so little to go on, I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this system. The Office 365 support team was completely unhelpful, and gave me the phone number for "Xbox support."

Friday, April 24, 2015 9:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please check the Service Integration Log Files on the Essentials server. The location of the log files is under %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs. The log files for O365 integration is called SharedServiceHost-EmailProviderServiceConfig.log.

In addition, please also check if you have meeted all the requirements for O365 integration in the link that you provided.

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2015 7:11 AM
  • The full log file (on OneDrive) is here: http://1drv.ms/1b6n35x

On line 33:

[12040] 150427.073502.6859: BecWebServiceAdapter: Connect to BECWS failed due to known exception : System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.Online.Administration.WebService.InvalidHeaderException]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason. (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.Online.Administration.WebService.InvalidHeaderException).

That seems to be the beginning of the errors. Unfortunately, the logs are not giving me anything I can identify as actionable on my side.

Yes, all the requirements for O365 integration that are documented in that TechNet article have been met.

For completeness, the plan is Office 365 Business Essentials.

Monday, April 27, 2015 1:06 PM
    • Edited by Soopadoubled Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Walt Reed Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:20 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Thank you - this was exactly the fix. Just so others don't need to look further, I'll just repost that you need the SharePoint 2013 SDK from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35585

Microsoft needs to issue a patch for the server that either installs this automatically or at least tells the user that they need to install that SDK first. Perhaps they should let the O365 team know how to fix it so they can point the customer at the correct resolution rather than Xbox support.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:38 PM