DVD not recognized during booting for Windows 10 Clean install/reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Posted this in the MS Community boards. Received reply to also seek help on TechNet as well. Any help/suggested are welcomed.

Original post follows:

I have been attempting to clean install Windows 10 64 bit to my PC; however, it appears that the DVD drive is being skipped during the boot process and loads Windows directly from the hard drive.

• BIOS has DVD in boot order before hard drive
    • Have attempted to boot from the DVD directly from the Boot Menu

Computer Info (sure someone will ask):

System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
    System Model GX612AA-ABA m8330f
    System Type X86-based PC {Windows confirms system is 64-bit capable}

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.11, 4/15/2008 {update from BiosAgentPlus indicated available, $30}

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC. {M2N68-LA (Narra 3)}

Prior OS was Windows 7 32 bit and upgraded to Windows 10 32 bit through the free upgrade offer.  I believe the original OS was Windows Vista (32 bit).  Mainly want 64 bit to take advantage of memory upgrade and video card swap for improved system performance.

BIOS doesn't seem to be HP supported, and now seems Phoenix Tech has off-loaded this to a 3rd party's responsibility.  BioAgentPlus seems willing to sell me a BIOS update for $30; however, service reviews are quite mixed on this company.

All the device drivers appear to be up to date.

Yes, system is 'several' years old, and I won't be terribly crushed :'( if I have to upgrade.  While I need written confirmation to sell idea off to the wife though ;-), I would prefer to save some $$ until I can upgrade to the system I want rather than what I can afford at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:45 AM

Answers

• Is the CD/DVD fine ? Any damages on disk ? 

Can you try the same disk on a different computer and check the results ? 

Also, try a different bootable disk on this system and check if this loads. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharma Monday, August 24, 2015 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, August 28, 2015 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, this should be hardware problem. Please try to use USB installation disc instead for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:17 AM

All replies

• Is the CD/DVD fine ? Any damages on disk ? 

Can you try the same disk on a different computer and check the results ? 

Also, try a different bootable disk on this system and check if this loads. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, this should be hardware problem. Please try to use USB installation disc instead for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:17 AM