Word 2007 will not open password protected document even though password is know and verified RRS feed

• Question

• We have some documents that are password protected, moot point.

Document will open in the following version of Office Word 2007:

Word (12.0.6425.1000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)

It will open with the known password

Document will not open in the following version of Office Word 2007 even with the known password:

Word (12.0.6535.5002) SP2 MSO (12.0.6535.5002)

This is the only difference I can find in the installations. Any suggestion of help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• I solved my own problem. I googleated the version of word with something about password doc won't open. Found a site that mentioned MS hotfix in this KB:

KB Article Number(s): 969961

I requested, downloaded and installed it on two affected machines. It corrected the problem! I don't know how to mark this as an answer and close this thread but I hope it someone helps someone else....

Good job me! LOL

• Marked as answer by goodoldfriend Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:33 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• I solved my own problem. I googleated the version of word with something about password doc won't open. Found a site that mentioned MS hotfix in this KB:

KB Article Number(s): 969961

I requested, downloaded and installed it on two affected machines. It corrected the problem! I don't know how to mark this as an answer and close this thread but I hope it someone helps someone else....

Good job me! LOL

• Marked as answer by goodoldfriend Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:33 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue.

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:50 AM