No Devices and Printers button? RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium tonight using the upgrade DVD sent to me by the Windows7 upgrade program by my manufacturer (Dell).  Prior to the upgrade, I was using Vista Home Premium.  All seemed to go well, and I am in the process of exploring the various new features offered by Win7 by viewing some of the very well-made tutorials on all of Win7's new features.

One of those tutorials made mention of a new feature/button that appears after pressing the Start button, named "Devices and Printers".  According to the images shown of this feature, it should be appearing between "Control Panel" and "Default Programs".  However, there is NO such button appearing for me, nor can I find any information as to WHY its not appearing for me.  I have done a web search for Windows 7 Devices and Printers and everything I've turned up is making it appear that it SHOULD be there, but no information as to why it might not be there.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:33 AM

Answers

• Right-click the Start button and choose Properties.

Click on the Start menu tab 'Customize' botton.

Scroll down the list to find the 'Device and Printers' entry and ensure that the box beside it is ticked.

'OK' and 'Apply' outta there, and you should now see the entry on the Start Menu.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Double-click on a device icon in there and you'll see its 'Device Stage'.

This MaximumPC article about Devices and Printers is informative and easy to follow:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7_feature_focus_devices_and_printers
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:12 AM

All replies

• Right-click the Start button and choose Properties.

Click on the Start menu tab 'Customize' botton.

Scroll down the list to find the 'Device and Printers' entry and ensure that the box beside it is ticked.

'OK' and 'Apply' outta there, and you should now see the entry on the Start Menu.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:52 AM
  • OK, that was easy..thanks for your help :)  One more question, though, related to the same original question...according to the tutorials that I've seen, there should be an option called "Device Stage" upon accessing Devices and Printers.  I cannot seem to locate this, though, even though it indicates that it should be an option under that section.  Can you direct me further as to where that might be?

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Double-click on a device icon in there and you'll see its 'Device Stage'.

This MaximumPC article about Devices and Printers is informative and easy to follow:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7_feature_focus_devices_and_printers
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:12 AM