OWA blocking .xml files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am trying to send .xml files to clients as this is the the format that our MIS system exports in. I have removed the .xml file type from the block registry entry and now some xml files are being received through OWA.

Is there a way of getting OWA to allow embedded .xml files as i believe this is why they are being blocked?

Thanks.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:48 PM

Answers

• Issue description: OWA blocks the attachment or messages containing xml content. I assume your exchange version is 2003, please correct me if I’m wrong

In Exchange 2003, by default OWA blocks files with .xml file to be opened directly. The “
    Safe HTML” feature of OWA 2003 identifies the html embedded in the attachments and will not allow the content to be rendered. And we can download the xml attachment but not the embedded xml files

Workarounds:

·         Zip the file and save it locally or put the xml on a place where it can be accessible for all

·         Freedocs is another possibility

·         KB 912939 talks about allowing POST option in the application for bypassing the safe HTML feature

Notes: In Exchange 2007, by default OWA also blocks files with .xml extensions. In order to get this fixed you will need to allow the .XML extensions on the OWA web site from the EMC and this can be done using this link

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:09 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:12 AM

All replies

• Issue description: OWA blocks the attachment or messages containing xml content. I assume your exchange version is 2003, please correct me if I’m wrong

In Exchange 2003, by default OWA blocks files with .xml file to be opened directly. The “
    Safe HTML” feature of OWA 2003 identifies the html embedded in the attachments and will not allow the content to be rendered. And we can download the xml attachment but not the embedded xml files

Workarounds:

·         Zip the file and save it locally or put the xml on a place where it can be accessible for all

·         Freedocs is another possibility

·         KB 912939 talks about allowing POST option in the application for bypassing the safe HTML feature

Notes: In Exchange 2007, by default OWA also blocks files with .xml extensions. In order to get this fixed you will need to allow the .XML extensions on the OWA web site from the EMC and this can be done using this link

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:09 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:12 AM
  •  Run below commands in Windows Power Shell (as administrator) and the xml download issue in owa will be unblocked when using any browser.

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

$UserCredential = Get-Credential

(make sure you use the Global admin credentials in the username/password window)

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session

Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -BlockedFileTypes @{Remove = ".xml"}

Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -BlockedMimeTypes @{Remove = "text/xml", "application/xml”}

Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -AllowedFileTypes @{Add = ".xml"}

Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy –AllowedMimeTypes @{Add = "text/xml", "application/xml"}

Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted 

• Edited by P_Bharadia Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:04 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:03 AM