none
SBS 2008 internal domain and external email domain routing decision

Question

• I have an internal domain named delta ( example) and i have an external domain called www.delta.com

users in the office are connected to the internal domain. the email as of now is hosted with a service provider. i would like to however migrate that to my sbs 2008 itself using the exchange functionality in it.

what settings do i need to do on my exchange server sbs 2008 so that the naming convention would be the same and the users say by loggin into delta domain send and receive email for the www.delta.com ie mail.delta.com domain

users now use outlook configured in their workstations to fetch email from the external pop3 email service provider.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

• By default, SBS expects your external domain name to be your email address suffix too.  So, if you ran the Connect to Internet Wizard, you would put in delta.com as your external name, and delta.local as your internal one.  Your email addresses will the be someone@delta.com.

Then you need to get you ISP to point an MX record for delta.com to the public IP of your router (and set your router to forward packets for port 25 to the SBS box).  The fact that www.delta.com points to another server completely should not make any difference.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:43 AM

All replies

• What is the full internal domain name? Something like delta.local or delta.lan?

Steve

<itdude80> wrote in message news:3c9af231-2711-4d85-9b4e-6124401223ab@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have an internal domain named delta ( example) and i have an external domain called www.delta.com

users in the office are connected to the internal domain. the email as of now is hosted with a service provider. i would like to however migrate that to my sbs 2008 itself using the exchange functionality in it.

what settings do i need to do on my exchange server sbs 2008 so that the naming convention would be the same and the users say by loggin into delta domain send and receive email for the www.delta.com ie mail.delta.com domain

users now use outlook configured in their workstations to fetch email from the external pop3 email service provider.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:37 PM
  • sorry its delta.local
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:39 PM
  • By default, SBS expects your external domain name to be your email address suffix too.  So, if you ran the Connect to Internet Wizard, you would put in delta.com as your external name, and delta.local as your internal one.  Your email addresses will the be someone@delta.com.

Then you need to get you ISP to point an MX record for delta.com to the public IP of your router (and set your router to forward packets for port 25 to the SBS box).  The fact that www.delta.com points to another server completely should not make any difference.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:43 AM