Pin network resource to taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

Ok, so I'm on W7 Home Premium x64 and am having a very annoying issue.

I've noticed that I can NOT pin a network resource to the taskbar.

I really want to be able to focus on one launch surface less, and that means keeping the desktop clutter free.

So when I need to use an executable on my LAN I can't pin it.

I was hoping that there was a viable workaround for this.

I've tried simply making a batch file starting the app, but no luck there since you can't pin batch files either....

Does anyone have a workaround?

Thank you all in advance!

Regards

Kai.

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:58 AM

Answers

• I know this is some time ago, but if anyone is interested I do have a workable solution now.

Simply create an empty shortcut, or a shortcut to some random program/file and put it on your desktop.

Then pin it to the taskbar.

When this is done you shift + right click the taskbar shortcut you just pinned and press properties.

change the "Target" and "Start in" path to your network resource location and change the icon.

The icon will sometimes work and sometimes not, don't know why.

The icon can also randomly deside to go hang itself after working for a while :p

Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• Two steps.

1. Restore XP style QuickLaunch  (tutorial by Brink)

2. Navigate to the network resource then right click and select Use Send to and send it to the Desktop, then Move it to the QuickLaunch area.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, April 2, 2010 2:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peior Crustulum Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:19 AM
  • 3. Ask MS how they could possibly create another new way of launching things but still forget all the ways people used the old one.
    If a product has faults the onus rests on the original manufacturer to solve problems arising because of that fault.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:40 AM
  • I know this is some time ago, but if anyone is interested I do have a workable solution now.

Simply create an empty shortcut, or a shortcut to some random program/file and put it on your desktop.

Then pin it to the taskbar.

When this is done you shift + right click the taskbar shortcut you just pinned and press properties.

change the "Target" and "Start in" path to your network resource location and change the icon.

The icon will sometimes work and sometimes not, don't know why.

The icon can also randomly deside to go hang itself after working for a while :p

Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:17 PM