Sharepoint issue defalut.master RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i am using sharepoint 2007..here i want to change home page look so i tried to open that sharepoint home page in sharepoint designer but when ever i tried to open that sharepoint page in designer its shows error 

so based on Forum Discussion i open that http:/<catalog>/<master page>

so in that page i having defalut.master

so i tried to publish this page in share point i got another one error there also

How to fix this issue

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:11 AM

Answers

• Do you have required permissions on the SharePoint server that you are using?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi anandan

first do properly check out and then verify is there any contribute settings is enabled for this page.

generallywhy  the master page error will show . because previously may be some body chekout and forgot to checking properly.

you need to no proper check out and then save then you check in. once you click chech in it will ask which version you want check in . select major version.

then goto your site and goto site actions-sitesettings-> click master page option

then right click on master page and approve . then you can see the page

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:28 AM
  • ya thanks but when ever i tried to open that defalut.master page in designer window its shows "there is no file in that path"

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:43 AM
  •   click master page option

then right click on master page and approve . then you can see the page

Shall u please show me that screen shot for this..
    Monday, June 11, 2012 10:47 AM
  • 1) The best practice says to avoid making changes to the default master page.   Either create your own master page or make a copy of the existing default master page before making any changes.

2) I suspect something is wrong with your Default.master page.  It should not give "the master page cannot be loaded" error.  Can you review the Default.aspx in Code View and try to locate the issues?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:21 AM
  • ya thanks shall u please tell where that defalut.master page is located in windows explorer..
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Hi

Please follow the steps mentioned

Modify the default master page (Using SharePoint Designer 2007)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/modify-the-default-master-page-HA010100906.aspx

I totally agree to Kamlesh, you should be creating your own custom master page based of default.master

Please follow the documentation

Common Steps for Creating a Custom Master Page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727372(v=office.12).aspx#MOSS2007CustomMasterPageWCM_CommonStepsforCreatingaCustomMasterPage

Hope this helps let us know if you are still finding some difficulties.

Thanks
    Akhilesh Nirapure

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:47 AM
  • ya ok thanks..while creating new master page i want to take backup of old defalut,master so where i il get this old master
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Using SharePoint 2010 designer, navigate to Catalogs -> Master Pages.

Select "Default.master", press Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.  This way you will have a backup of original master page.

Thanks & Regards,

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:48 AM
  • ya i tried that copy and paste

but here also i got error like this

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:28 AM
  • Do you have required permissions on the SharePoint server that you are using?

Thanks & Regards,

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:59 PM