Windows 7 Network Icon Lights RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi im a bit dissapointed by the way in which the network icon works in Windows Vista. Before in windows XP the lights would only flash when there was traffic flowing through, but the new version in Vista flashes randomly....looking more cartoony with its 'turn on animation' function. The Windows XP lights were far more accurate and was helpful in identifying whether any traffic was actually passing through if one was left with a blank screen that says buffering on WMP. Please Microsoft, bring back the flashing network lights, like you had in windows XP! Thank you!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi im a bit dissapointed by the way in which the network icon works in Windows Vista. Before in windows XP the lights would only flash when there was traffic flowing through, but the new version in Vista flashes randomly....looking more cartoony with its 'turn on animation' function. The Windows XP lights were far more accurate and was helpful in identifying whether any traffic was actually passing through if one was left with a blank screen that says buffering on WMP. Please Microsoft, bring back the flashing network lights, like you had in windows XP! Thank you!
    RE: Network Status lights (Non-functional) Affected operating systems: Windows 7 RC 7100 I, like countless others and VERY disappointed that status lights have been stripped out- as it gives a status on what is going on! As someone who has been holding out on migrating beyond XP PRO- upon the install of the WIN 7 RC 7100 one of the first options I was trying to find was the tab sheet that had a option to turn them on. I suggest a very simple fix: For those of us that USE a COMPUTER like a COMPUTER - have a option for network status lights like in XP. For those simpletons that want a "dumbed-down" machine- Have that option turned off by default. This way both camps are happy. PS: I read somewhere there was some kind of think-group that thought the status lights were distracting, and that's the reason they stripped them out. .
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:49 AM
  • PS: I read somewhere there was some kind of think-group that thought the status lights were distracting, and that's the reason they stripped them out.
    Agreed. As for me network lights very useful, I can be sure there is no worms/spamware while nothing flashing. Even now, when I have win7, still prefer XP :(
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:48 PM
  • In their own Channel 10 Blog, Microsoft gave us a recommendation.  Download the program Microsoft recommended, it even can match your Windows Vista / Windows 7 Taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:51 AM