none
VM Snapshot and DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i have a DPM 2012 server that is configured to backup multiple VM on a Hyper-V Cluster using Child Partition Backup. I've created a snapshot for a VM. Creating a recovery point in DPM for the VM with the created snapshot fails with the following error.

Changes for Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VMTEST on SCVMM VMTEST Resources.Node1.contoso.com cannot be applied to C:\ClusterStorage\Volume5\VMTest\Snapshots\FA510DB4-DF51-4E6E-B952-BA232C9E73B9\FA510DB4-DF51-4E6E-B952-BA232C9E73B9.bin. (ID 112 Details: The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003))

After executing a consistency check for the VM with the Snapshot a creation of a recovery point is executed without any errors.

Is this behavior known "by design"?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:05 PM

All replies

• This behavior is not by design.  These errors are usually a result of the CSV going offline during backups.  Are there any Cluster event errors that are logged when the recovery point job fails?  There may also be VSS errors in the application logs of the Cluster nodes that might give clues as to why the backups are failing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Hi Michael,

i've checked the Cluster Event logs and the application logs for the Cluster nodes. No VSS Errors or CSV Errors are displayed. Clean Logfile.

Regards

Martin

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Have you check if the VSS provider is working fine in the VM ?

Try to see if VSS writer is ok in the VM typing "vssadmin list writers".

Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer should be in "stable" state with no error.

Type "vssadmin list shadows" also to see if any snap isn't in unstable state.

Ced

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

i've checked the VSS Writer and the shadows in the VM as well.

No unstable snapshots or unstable writers.

Regards

Martin

Friday, November 9, 2012 8:59 AM