Skype for Business Server license RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i installed SfB Server with Evaluation license, which is 180 days long. What will happed after 180 days?

I would like to also know, why is needed CAL license for clients....as far as I know, the client SfB Basic is free. I'm using it more than 3 months and everything works without problems (IM, conferencing, meetings, sharing....).

Thank you

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:03 AM

Answers

• Hi vladysko,

For SFB server license, it is one time payment.

For the license price, we suggest you call Microsoft to get more information 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers.aspx

If my reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, because it will help others who has similar issue.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, June 5, 2017 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by vladysko Monday, June 5, 2017 6:29 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

after 180 days Evaluation Version you Need to purchase the SFB Server License + CALs.

CALs are just a paper dokument for licensing compliance without any Installation/activation 

you must satisfy the CAL requirements to be compliant with Microsoft software use rights.

the SFB Client(the free Basic or the paid SFB Client) are Client licenses to install it on your machines. 

thanks

diramoh

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Hi diramoh,

thank you for your fast reply.

Just to be clear - after 180 days - the server will be normal functioning, just some pop-ups will appear? Or the server will stop working?

I still don't get the purpose of CAL license. If I'm able to free use SfB client (for example. SfB Basic or Sky Linux), why should I pay some license fee? What is the meaning of the CAL license if i don't have to put some license key to program?

Thank you

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

after 180 days your SFB Evaluation Version will stop working.

CALs and SFB Clients are two different products. SFB Client is an application offered in two Edition: the free one(Basic) and the paid one. if you are satisfied with the Basic Features tahn you don't Need to pay for the Client Software. however, the CALs are the license requirements from Microsoft licensing use rights.

The general requirement is, any User or Device that accesses the server software, either directly or indirectly, requires a CAL.  Depending on the product and functionality being accessed.

on Microsoft licensing dicument, we have the following: "Skype for Business Server is licensed through a Server and CAL (Client Access License) model and so organizations should purchase a Server license for each server, and CALs for either users or devices."

thanks

diramoh

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:59 AM
  • Yes ok, i understand MS requires CALs...but even if I don't have any CAL I can still use SfB client (paid or free). So I'm asking - what is the benefit of CALs for end user? The point is - I can't see any presure from MS to pay for CAL. For example, if I don't have license for AutoCAD, I can't use it legally. But if I don't have CAL for SfB client...who cares? Everything works anyway - no demo, no limited time, no limited funkcionality. So from my point of view just license for Sfb Server makes sense. 
    Monday, May 29, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Hi vladysko,

If you purchase CALs, the user will have a full range of experience of Skype for business.

Client licenses are required for using the Skype for Business client. (These are included in Office 2013 Professional Plus)

Microsoft Lync 2013 – the complete Lync client, which is part of the Office ProPlus 2013 Suite and can also be purchased standalone Lync Basic 2013 – a less feature-rich Lync client, licensed at no charge.

Lync Server requires a Lync Server license for every Front End Server role.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Regarding server license - how long is one license valid? Is it one time payment, or it has to be regularly paid? Is there any price list?

Thank you

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:32 PM
  • Hi vladysko,

For SFB server license, it is one time payment.

For the license price, we suggest you call Microsoft to get more information 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers.aspx

If my reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, because it will help others who has similar issue.

Regards,

Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, June 5, 2017 9:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by vladysko Monday, June 5, 2017 6:29 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 9:30 AM