Problem with Windows Media Player and Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• When i attempt to start Media Player whether I attempt to open by itself or I insert a DVD I get the following message "The file wmploc.dll has a version number 11.0.6002.18111 where 11.6.6001.704 was expected. Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web Site?".

I have attempted to try and find where I can uninstall Media Player so I can redownload and install Media Player fresh but have been unable to do so. I have also attempted to download "Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista (KB931621)" but so far the response I get when attempting to install is "The update does not apply to your system."

Any suggestions as to what to try next?
    Glen
    Monday, December 28, 2009 8:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Let's try to obtain the latest security update for Windows Media Player.

MS09-037: Description of the security update for Windows Media Player: August 11, 2009

If the issue persists, you need to modify some registry.

After updating WMP you an error from wmploc.dll about the version number being incorrect

Please note: it is highly recommended to back up your registry before taking any modification.

As a work around, you can delete the following items in registry.

• Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\wmp.dll
    • Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\wmploc.dll
    • Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\\wmplayer.exe

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Dale

Monday, January 4, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Hello,

I followed your suggestions above. The Decurity updates didn't solve the issue but the registry changes solved the problem. Appears as though Media Player is running properly now.

Thank you for your help.

Glen
    Glen
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Let's try to obtain the latest security update for Windows Media Player.

MS09-037: Description of the security update for Windows Media Player: August 11, 2009

If the issue persists, you need to modify some registry.

After updating WMP you an error from wmploc.dll about the version number being incorrect

Please note: it is highly recommended to back up your registry before taking any modification.

As a work around, you can delete the following items in registry.

• Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\wmp.dll
    • Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\wmploc.dll
    • Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\\wmplayer.exe

Best Regards
    Dale

Thanks

This is very good solution & i really works

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:22 PM