So, anyone have a good way to block IPODs from the wireless network? RRS feed

• Question

• I work at a school and we are having difficulty blocking certain devices from our network. We use Websense at our school to filter web traffic and we only have 200 licenses. For the size of our school any the number of users we have this number has been fine. We have a WPA2 secured guest network on a seperate vlan that is supposed to be used for guests to the building and personal student laptops. The problem is these kids have brought their IPODs to school and they are connecting to our guest network with them. I have over 225 IPODs connected at any given time.  I would like to know if anyone has any good ideas on how to block these IPODs with NPS.

P.S,. I would like to use mac address filtering but it looks like their are a great many prefixes for IPODs.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

From the description, you have a wireless network for guest and want to restrict the access from IPods.

Beside the user authentication and authorization via certificates for WPA2, I think that MAC address filtering would be the most easy and direct method to restrict the access from IPods. To get the full prefixes (also named as Organizationally Unique Identifier OUI) from Apple, you can get the full list of OUIs from Apple.

IEEE OUI and Company_id Search

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

• Marked as answer by Miles Li Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:32 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:29 AM