Multiple users getting this error: There are too many active sessions connected to this mailbox. Please close other open instances and try to sign in again after a few minutes. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an exchange 2013 CU9 environment that has been migrated from a 2003 exchange environment.

Out of all our users only 1 is getting this error when accessing mail via OWA - they get the below error message

They are not able to log into OWA but the outlook 2010 client is working fine.

On the odd time they can get into OWA they are only able to view the last mail that they recieved all other mails give the error: Your request cannot be completed right now. Please try again later.

:(

Something went wrong

There are too many active sessions connected to this mailbox. Please close other open instances and try to sign in again after a few minutes. if the prolem continues, Please contact your helpdesk.

X-ClientId: *** - **** - **** - ******

X-OWA-Error: SDserverErr;Microsoft.Exchange.Data.StorageTooManyObjectsOpenedException

X-OWA-Version: 15.0.1104.5

x-FEServer: ********

X-BEServer: ***********************

Date: 13/01/2016 *************

I have tried reseting the users password, moving their mailbox to a different database. clearing cache, using different pc and probably several other steps that i cant remember.

This has been going on for several days now.

Can someone shed some lighton this for me please.

Thanks!

• Edited by Kerob Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since this is a single user, the obvious answer I would propose is that maybe he is reopening OWA from multiple browsers or browser sessions and/or not logging off of and closing his sessions so that they are hanging around.  Have you visited him personally to observe his behavior?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Does this user connect exchange through multiple devices?

Try to disable OWA feature for this user, wait for some time, then enable OWA feature to check this issue.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:45 AM
  • It has now spread across 4 users and they are all in different locations but use owa as their main way of viewing mail as the jump between multiple pc's, maybe 3/4.

Is there any way i can see the sessions that they have opened and kill them off?

or set a kill time on sessions? or increase the amount of sessions that they can have open

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

they could connect to 3/4 different devices over the day.

I have tried disabling owa but only for 2/3 minutes, how long is some time?

Thanks,

Kierán

• Edited by Kerob Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:49 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:49 AM
  • It has now spread across 4 users and they are all in different locations but use owa as their main way of viewing mail as the jump between multiple pc's, maybe 3/4.

Is there any way i can see the sessions that they have opened and kill them off?

or set a kill time on sessions? or increase the amount of sessions that they can have open

This says 2010, but will prob work in 2013 as well.

Give it a try as a test

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/980049

Also take a look at creating a different throttling poilicy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dd298094%28v=EXCHG.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

What is set for OWA timeouts? If users are accessing OWA from multiple machines, maybe set to a lower value

http://www.msexchange.org/kbase/ExchangeServerTips/ExchangeServer2013/OutlookOWA/how-configure-public-and-private-computer-settings-owa-2013.html

• Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:19 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:49 AM