No Audio when playing DVD with Windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, 

I recently bought a new HP Pavillion Model d5000z desktop PC with Windows Vista Business 32 bit Service Pack 1.

When a DVD is placed in the drive a list of programs comes up, when Windows Media Player is selected then an error message appears.  Here is the message

"DVDPlay" in the title bar, message "This version of Windows Media Player does not support DVD playback.  Do you wish to use HP DVDPlay for DVD playback?"  then the buttons are "OK" and "Cancel". 

If OK is selected the DVD plays fine on HP DVDPlay.  If Cancel is selected then Windows Media Player 11 plays the video, but with no audio.  I have tried this with several DVDs and specifically DVDs that worked fine with my previous PC, which I recall had Windows Media Player 9.  Also, Nero plays the DVD fine.

I searched Microsoft help and FAQ and there it says that there is a "help" button on error messages, click it for more information.  But this error message does not have a "help" button.  There does not appear to be any information in the MS web site that specifically mentions this issue.

Why is there no audio when playig a DVD in WMP 11?  How can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Mac

Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Mac

It sounds like the proprietary HP DVD Player has been set as the default DVD player.

Media Player should be able to play just about any type of DVD. This could be an issue with playing a DVD that requires certain, special  'Codecs' that may not be installed for Media Player.

For more focused support, I would suggest that you post this question where the Media Player experts answer questions. They should be aware of this issue.

Here is a link to those support groups, for your convenience.

Discussions in General Media Player Discussion:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&cat=en_US_783621db-7288-406a-b831-ce7ec6ec0188&lang=en&cr=US

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for directing me to the WMP area for my post.  I have put the question up there. 

Mac

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:40 PM