Vista RTM + Realtek ALC880 HD Audio - Sound skips/stutters. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a Shuttle ST20G5 (AMD64 3000+/1GB ram) with onboard graphics (ATi Radeon 200 Xpress) and onboard sound (Realtek ALC880) with ULi M1573 SATA southbridge.

I have installed the latest drivers for all three but I can not get the sound to perform normally like it does in Windows XP.

During the simplest of O/S tasks e.g. moving a window around the desktop, the sound from the media player (Winamp) will stutter, skip, lag, not massively but noticeable. Same applies to Windows sounds.

Is there something I'm overlooking? I can't believe my system is that unique it can't work with Vista properly.

norm

Monday, January 8, 2007 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hey,

I thought I'd revive this thread now I've got sound working normally on Vista. For those experiencing similar problems, this probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but it's worth considering.

Anyway I installed a inexpensive PCI-Express graphics adapter on my machine and used that in place of the on-board graphics. Now sound works exactly as it should.

I've notified ATI about the problems I had with their Xpress 200 chipset, so maybe they'll rectify whatever's wrong.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:59 AM

All replies

• It's a combination Vista and Realtek issue. I have severe problems with my system as well and have an Asus P5L VM 1394 with an Intel Core 2 Duo.

My fix was to change the HAL mode from x86 ACPI to ACPI Standard mode.

After that everything works great!
    Tuesday, January 9, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Progress at last.

I followed your advice and switched to ACPI PC mode and now the audio works as it should!

But guess what, now the graphics card is complaining.

http://www.sn.eclipse.co.uk/graphics.jpg

Any ideas?

The substitute Windows adapter/driver (whatevers allowing the screen to function) called VgaSave reports the following under conflicts.

"Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
      PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
      PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:
      PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge"

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Could be the ATI itself or it could be the chipset. The only chipsets I truly recommend are Nvidia Nforce or Intel. Other chipsets may seem to work but they have issues with certain operations or modes(HAL settings)

Also check to see if there is a BIOS update and or driver updates for your chipset and video card.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem and change the HAL mode to ACPI standard.

There is a way to come back to x86 ACPI mode. I had try to update to x86 ACPI driver but it is gonne.

Now I have problems with the network card and every time that I shut down my computer, Vista turn down the PCI IDE busmaster doing thath the pc run slowly.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:15 AM
  • Where did you turn it to the ACPI standard?

When i update the driver, i only have the acpi x86-based PC and "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". How do i choose ACPI standard?

You can go back to x86 in msconfig -> boot -> advanced options -> "Detect HAL" and reboot the machine and it reinstalls the x86 ACPI mode.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:37 PM
  •  Thank my friend. It worked.

I didn't check the options in the msconfig.

I chande the drivers in the device manager.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Thanks alot for that tip,I have been fighting that problem all day. msconfig worked great!
    Friday, April 13, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Installed the latest graphics and southbridge driver from ATI as well as the latest sound drivers from Realtek and still this problem hasn't been overcome, and this was on a fresh install of Vista.

I can't be the only person experiencing this issue. How do I get Microsoft to take notice damn it!?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Hey,

I thought I'd revive this thread now I've got sound working normally on Vista. For those experiencing similar problems, this probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but it's worth considering.

Anyway I installed a inexpensive PCI-Express graphics adapter on my machine and used that in place of the on-board graphics. Now sound works exactly as it should.

I've notified ATI about the problems I had with their Xpress 200 chipset, so maybe they'll rectify whatever's wrong.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having the axact same problem and I want to change the hall mode, but i have no idea were to find this?

Can anyone help me?

thanks in advance!

greetings Sentinall

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:10 AM
  • You are not alone my friend - I've been having all kinds of problems with my ati xpress 200m chipset - luckily for me (not) I have a laptop so I cannot just get a new video card! Chipset and display driver still won't install correctly from ati and it is feb. of 2008! I get errors about the bus did not assign an IRQ and so many problems with the vga driver - I manually installed the drivers and they work mostly except with standby and resuming correctly all the time, and then blank screen issues on boot which I have to go to standby and then resume. I have a turtle beach audio advantage micro usb sound card and it will start skipping and stuttering after about 5 minutes of playing any type of audio. If I pause the song/video then it works again and then about 5 minutes later constant stuttering and skipping again. I am getting very frustrated with this chipset and vista.

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:07 PM