none
Bitlocker stopped at 60+% encrypt by power outage. Now bitlocker won't start and I can't access the drive. Any ideas? RRS feed

• Question

• I read a tech article on 11 Jan 2011 (zdnet - 'Ten little things to secure your online presence') which said you should use something like bitlocker to protect your data whilst online so like an idiot started to encrypt an external drive (1TB IOMEGA) with all family photos etc. Then at 60+% encrypt the power got switched off mid-encrypt (stupid mistake but these things happen). My last DVD backup was over twelve months ago so this external drive has a lot of great memories stored on it that I'd like to recover.

I'm running Windows 7 Ult. 64bit and although Windows recognises the drive it states it can't access it. I don't even get an option to insert either my password or key. If I try to open Bitlocker with the offending external drive connected it is unresponsive and fails to open even when using 'Services'. Bitlocker also fails to shutdown whilst drive is connected even when using 'Start Task Manager'. The Bitlocker Repair Tool won't load on my Windows 7 laptop. Q. Why is Bitlocker provided with Windows 7 if the repair tool won't work on Windows 7 machines?

Any ideas on how to access my external drive and recover my data?

Any ideas on how to access my external drive for re-use even if data, or part thereof, is lost?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According your issue, I suggest you try to use the following command to resume the encryption process.
    manage-bde -resume X:

If the issue persists, please use manage-bde –status to export the Bitlocker status and post it here.

In addition, you could refer the following link to recover the drive:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523219(WS.10).aspx

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Hi William,

Appreciate your help and for the moment have just run .... manage-bde -resume K:

Then I checked 'Services' and BitLocker Drive Encryption Service is running but I don't see any activity ie progress bar.

The external drive is visible in 'Computer' but shows 'lock' symbol.  If I try to open or unlock I get error message.....

K:\ is not accessible  The parameter is incorrect

The external hard drive(K:) just generates repeated, slow, audible clicks.

Basically I don't know if anything is happening.  I could just leave it like this in the hope that after a few days I might get another message.  What do you think?

Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:49 PM
  • did u sort out ur problem @graham ?? I am having exactly the same problem !!! :(
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:33 AM