SCCM 2012 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have SCCM 2012 RTM running managing a few clients.  The SCCM 2012 RTM is on a dedicated server connecting to a remote SQL 2008 R2 server for Site DB and SUS DB.  

We want to completely uninstall SCCM 2012 RTM including its DB and ensure we de-enroll any client.  We then want to install the latest  SCCM 2012 R2 build (1511).  

How can we do <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="19" id="19">this.</g>  What are my <g class="gr_ gr_20 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="20" id="20">options.</g> Can we reuse the site code once we have completely <g class="gr_ gr_21 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="21" id="21">uninstall</g> SCCM 2012 RTM

Any document you could share to do as graceful uninstall would be good.

Any pitfalls we should watch out for?

Our ultimate goal is to install a clean SCCM 2012 R2 with <g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="17" id="17">local</g> database by removing the RTM version of SCCM.  

We also want to reuse the same server for the SCCM R2 as we are for the SCCM RTM

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:04 PM

Answers

• When you say SCCM 2012 R2 build (1511), do you  mean SCCM Current Branch version 1511? Or Just SCCM 2012 R2?

I would install SP1 in your SCCM 2012 environment, then upgrade to SCCM 1511 then 1606.

Theres a good guide here https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-1511-upgrade/

• Marked as answer by BuckH1 Monday, September 12, 2016 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

For the clients, use a script that executes "C:\windows\CCMsetup\ccmsetup.exe /uninstall" either a GPO startup skript or something like that, you could do it with SCCM as well but as you want to uninstall it I would use Another method.

For the Site server, remove as many roles as you can in the ConfigMgr console, after that launch setup from the start menu under System Center 2012\Configuration Manager\Configuration Manager Setup. there you can uninstall the whole site.

After that I would cleanup the AD as well by deleting the System Management Container under the System Container

But why you need to uninstall the RTM, upgrade that to Sp1 then ugrade with SCCM CB 1511 then 1606

I would not to do uninstall and will go with that method. 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by SinghSharad Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Since you still are on ConfigMgr 2012 RTM, I guess you also still run Server 2008 (R2). Another way would be to build up a new 1606 Site based on Server 2012 R2 / 2016 and perform a Side-by-Side Migration.

If I'm not mistaken, SP1 for 2012 would still be required to perform the Side-by-Side Migration.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

• Edited by Simon Dettling Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:40 AM
  • I concur with Nick. If the current site is operational, I would continue to use it by either using in-place upgrades (both ConfigMgr and OS) or a backup and upgrade to a new site server running Server 2012 R2 (perform the in-place ConfigMgr upgrades before performing the backup and restore though so that you never have a trace of the old ConfigMgr version on the new server).

And, as also pointed out by Nick, 1511 has nothing to do with ConfigMgr 2012; 1511 is a build number for ConfigMgr Current Branch.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Yes I do mean current branch version 1511.  We want to deploy 2012 R2 with the current branch but remove the existing SCCM2012 RTM.  We also want to reuse the existing site code, which I would imagine will be removed when the RTM version is removed.  Does Microsoft retain any site code as past of any subscription or SA?

Thanks 

Buck

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:01 PM
  • First, 2012R2, as noted above, has *nothing* to do with current branch. Current Branch is a new version of ConfigMgr that supersedes 2012. It would be like saying I want the latest version of Exchange 2013 which is called Exchange 2016 -- it makes no sense.

Microsoft does not collect any information about site codes in relation to licensing -- there is no licensing enforcement whatsoever.

Please see the comments above by Nick and myself also. Basically, why not just upgrade what you have?

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:18 PM
  • I am probably confusing everyone here.  We want to deploy SCCM 2012 R2. And then ensure we have the latest Service Pack.

Can we do an in-place upgrade of SCCM 2012 RTM to SCCM 2012 R2 without doing a test upgrade as <g class="gr_ gr_949 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="949" id="949">decribed</g> in the document excerpt here below?

Looking at the steps below, we are thinking a new installation of SCCM 2012 R2 may be easier.  We only have a few client on SCCM 2012 RTM.  The only positive thing is that it's working if we <g class="gr_ gr_1964 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1964" id="1964">want</g> manage all our client today.

Prerequisites

• Backup – Before you upgrade a site, back up the site database to ensure that you have a successful backup to use for disaster recovery. Check this post for more info.
    • Perform test upgrade of DB – Before you upgrade a site, test a copy of that site’s database for the upgrade. You can perform the below steps for testing the upgrade of DB :

Step 1 – Make a copy of the site database, and then restore that copy to an instance of SQL Server that uses the same edition as your site database and that does not host a Configuration Manager site. For example, if the site database runs on an instance of the Enterprise edition of SQL Server, make sure you restore the database to an instance of SQL Server that also runs the Enterprise edition of SQL Server.

Step 2 – After you restore the database copy, run Setup from the source media for System Center Configuration Manager. When you run Setup, use the /TESTDBUPGRADE command-line option. If the SQL Server instance that hosts the database copy is not the default instance, you must also provide the command-line arguments to identify the instance that hosts the site database copy.

For example, you plan to upgrade a site database with the database name SMS_ABC. You restore a copy of this site database to a supported instance of SQL Server with the instance name DBTest. To test an upgrade of this copy of the site database, use the following command line: Setup.exe /TESTDBUPGRADE DBtestCM_ABC. You can find Setup.exe in the following location on the source media for System Center Configuration Manager: SMSSETUPBINX64.

Step 3 – On the instance of SQL Server where you run the database upgrade test, monitor the ConfigMgrSetup.log in the root of the system drive for progress and success. If the test upgrade fails, resolve any issues related to the site database upgrade failure, create a new backup of the site database, and then test the upgrade of the new copy of the site database. After the process is successful, you can delete the database copy.

• Restart the site server and each computer that hosts a site system role to ensure that there are no pending actions from a recent installation of updates or from prerequisites.
    • Review the site and hierarchy status and verify that there are no unresolved issues.
    • You need to upgrade your ADK version to version 10 before the upgrade process.
    • If you’re planning to use Windows 10 Servicing, you need to consider applying this important WSUS update to your Windows Server. This hotfix is only available for Windows 2012, if you’re running your Software Update Point on Windows 2008, consider moving your SUP to a Windows 2012 server.(Hotfix KB3095113)

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:19 PM
  • As Nick noted above, to get to ConfigMgr CB, you should upgrade to 2012 SP1 first and then you can upgrade to ConfigMgr CB (1511). From there you can upgrade to ConfigMgr CB (1606).

No, you don't have to do the test db upgrade but its generally a bad idea not to.

If you truly only have a few clients on the current installation and don't care about their current state or anything configured in this current site, then you can directly install ConfigMgr CB 1511 and immediately upgrade it to ConfigMgr CB 1606 -- there's no reason to install any version of ConfigMgr 2012 at all. You should use a new site code though, uninstall the old site, and cleanup AD if necessary (the System Management container specifically).

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Thank you all for the response especially Nick and Jason.

So If I understand it correctly ConfigMgr CB YYMM is the new naming convention for SCCM and now is also a different product? I that correct in my understanding.

Our SCCM 2012 RTM is working but it's not fully deployed in terms of managing EPP, updates or other SCCM 2012 feature set. We would like to start fresh with the ConfigMgr Current Branch 1511 as Jason recommends.

Would it be possible to do a side by side installation and then decommission SCCM 2012 <g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="26" id="26">RTM.</g> And Maybe I am asking too much can this be possible on the same VM server.

If side by side is not possible then according to the reply above we will only need to install SP1 and then run ConfigMgr CB 1511.

In our VLSC I only see SP2. Can I install SP2 on RTM? and then go to 1511?

Again I want to avoid the test upgrade method if possible. Jason mentions its possible so would like a reconfirmation on that.

Thanks All again

Buck

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:54 PM
  • > "So If I understand it correctly ConfigMgr CB YYMM is the new naming convention for SCCM and now is also a different product? I that correct in my understanding."

Kind of but not really. The new name is as noted ConfigMgr Current Branch (CB). The build number is represented as YYMM; there have been three release ready builds so far: 1511, 1602, and 1606. This is very similar to the Windows 10 naming where there have also been three builds released: 1507, 1511, and 1607.

> "Would it be possible to do a side by side installation and then decommission SCCM 2012 "

Yes.

> "And Maybe I am asking too much can this be possible on the same VM server."

No, not while another site is installed. I would never think about using the same OS instance either. If for some reason you are short on resources, simply turn off the existing ConfigMgr VM and build a new VM.

> "If side by side is not possible then according to the reply above we will only need to install SP1 and then run ConfigMgr CB 1511."

Not needed at all.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Hello Jason

Thank you for the response. 

So for our clarity again, we can go from SCCM 2102 RTM to CM 1511 directly with an upgrade without going to SCCM 2012 SP1, correct?

Note: we connect to a remote SQL server for existing SCCM 2012 install

In your experience do recommend we upgrade or do you recommend we undertake brand new install of 1511 with a local SQL.

Thanks again for your response

Buck

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hello Jason

So for our clarity again, we can go from SCCM 2102 RTM to CM 1511 directly with an upgrade without going to SCCM 2012 SP1, correct?

In your experience do recommend we upgrade or do you recommend we undertake brand new install of 1511 with a local SQL.

Buck

As you hve already SCCM 2012 RTM then go with upgrade. 

not a new brand CB 1511 or CB 1606 instalaltion

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Thanks Sharad

So if I have SCCM RTM, can I upgrade to SP2 directly?

Thanks

Buck

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Hey Sharad

The SPLASH shows I have "System Center Configuration Manager SP2". This what I got from my VLSC site.

I did not see CU2 <g class="gr_ gr_333 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="333" id="333">there,</g> unless <g class="gr_ gr_371 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="371" id="371">its</g> by another name.

Is that the same?

And if this is the same <g class="gr_ gr_138 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="138" id="138">its</g> forcing a local install of SQL where I have a remote SQL server?

Thanks

Buck

• Edited by BuckH1 Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:25 PM
  • No, you must be on at least 2012 SP1: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822981.aspx#BKMK_UpgradeVersions

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:29 PM
  • I think you mean R2

No, he means SP2. And no, you must be on 2012 SP1 to get to SP2.

• Marked as answer by BuckH1 Monday, September 12, 2016 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:32 PM
  • If you are already on SP2, you can upgrade to 1511 directly.

• Hello Jason

I have not installed SP2 yet, but I am having challenge installing SP2 and get an error on WSUS 3.0 SP2 wanting KB2720211 and KB2734608.

For some reason on the Technet site both these KB are not available issue broken URL.

So I am attempting to upgrade to SCCM 2012 SP2 from SCCM 2012 RTM.

My VLSC site does not show SCCM 2012 SP1 

Thanks

Buck

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Hello Jason

I have not installed SP2 yet, but I am having challenge installing SP2 and get an error on WSUS 3.0 SP2 wanting KB2720211 and KB2734608.

For some reason on the Technet site both these KB are not available issue broken URL.

Thanks

Buck

Why you are trying to upgrade SP2.

you have SCCM 2012 RTM version.

upgate this to SCCM 2012 SP1 then upgrade this to CB 1511. 

and Yes service is temp not available for both KBs. 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:10 AM
  • Sharad,

For some reason, the VLSC site does not have SCCM 2012 SP1 just SCCM 2012 SP2. Can I not go to SCCM 2012 SP 2 from SCCM 2012 RTM?

Is there another location/<g class="gr_ gr_261 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="261" id="261">url</g> for SCCM 2012 SP1 install.

Thanks

Buck

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Unfortunatily 

Service Unavailable - Zero size object right now, 

but all the updates should be at MS download center/VL sites

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Hello 

Is this site still down? Unable to get KB2720211 and KB 2734608

when I click on the any on the link I get

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

Thanks

Buck

No, download center is working fine now, you can download this. 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:17 PM

All replies

• When you say SCCM 2012 R2 build (1511), do you  mean SCCM Current Branch version 1511? Or Just SCCM 2012 R2?

I would install SP1 in your SCCM 2012 environment, then upgrade to SCCM 1511 then 1606.

Theres a good guide here https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-1511-upgrade/

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

For the clients, use a script that executes "C:\windows\CCMsetup\ccmsetup.exe /uninstall" either a GPO startup skript or something like that, you could do it with SCCM as well but as you want to uninstall it I would use Another method.

For the Site server, remove as many roles as you can in the ConfigMgr console, after that launch setup from the start menu under System Center 2012\Configuration Manager\Configuration Manager Setup. there you can uninstall the whole site.

After that I would cleanup the AD as well by deleting the System Management Container under the System Container

But why you need to uninstall the RTM, upgrade that to Sp1 then ugrade with SCCM CB 1511 then 1606

I would not to do uninstall and will go with that method. 

• Edited by SinghSharad Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Since you still are on ConfigMgr 2012 RTM, I guess you also still run Server 2008 (R2). Another way would be to build up a new 1606 Site based on Server 2012 R2 / 2016 and perform a Side-by-Side Migration.

If I'm not mistaken, SP1 for 2012 would still be required to perform the Side-by-Side Migration.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

• Edited by Simon Dettling Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:40 AM
  • I concur with Nick. If the current site is operational, I would continue to use it by either using in-place upgrades (both ConfigMgr and OS) or a backup and upgrade to a new site server running Server 2012 R2 (perform the in-place ConfigMgr upgrades before performing the backup and restore though so that you never have a trace of the old ConfigMgr version on the new server).

And, as also pointed out by Nick, 1511 has nothing to do with ConfigMgr 2012; 1511 is a build number for ConfigMgr Current Branch.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Yes I do mean current branch version 1511.  We want to deploy 2012 R2 with the current branch but remove the existing SCCM2012 RTM.  We also want to reuse the existing site code, which I would imagine will be removed when the RTM version is removed.  Does Microsoft retain any site code as past of any subscription or SA?

Thanks 

Buck

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:01 PM
  • First, 2012R2, as noted above, has *nothing* to do with current branch. Current Branch is a new version of ConfigMgr that supersedes 2012. It would be like saying I want the latest version of Exchange 2013 which is called Exchange 2016 -- it makes no sense.

Microsoft does not collect any information about site codes in relation to licensing -- there is no licensing enforcement whatsoever.

Please see the comments above by Nick and myself also. Basically, why not just upgrade what you have?

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:18 PM
  • I am probably confusing everyone here.  We want to deploy SCCM 2012 R2. And then ensure we have the latest Service Pack.

Can we do an in-place upgrade of SCCM 2012 RTM to SCCM 2012 R2 without doing a test upgrade as <g class="gr_ gr_949 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="949" id="949">decribed</g> in the document excerpt here below?

Looking at the steps below, we are thinking a new installation of SCCM 2012 R2 may be easier.  We only have a few client on SCCM 2012 RTM.  The only positive thing is that it's working if we <g class="gr_ gr_1964 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1964" id="1964">want</g> manage all our client today.

Prerequisites

• Backup – Before you upgrade a site, back up the site database to ensure that you have a successful backup to use for disaster recovery. Check this post for more info.
    • Perform test upgrade of DB – Before you upgrade a site, test a copy of that site’s database for the upgrade. You can perform the below steps for testing the upgrade of DB :

Step 1 – Make a copy of the site database, and then restore that copy to an instance of SQL Server that uses the same edition as your site database and that does not host a Configuration Manager site. For example, if the site database runs on an instance of the Enterprise edition of SQL Server, make sure you restore the database to an instance of SQL Server that also runs the Enterprise edition of SQL Server.

Step 2 – After you restore the database copy, run Setup from the source media for System Center Configuration Manager. When you run Setup, use the /TESTDBUPGRADE command-line option. If the SQL Server instance that hosts the database copy is not the default instance, you must also provide the command-line arguments to identify the instance that hosts the site database copy.

For example, you plan to upgrade a site database with the database name SMS_ABC. You restore a copy of this site database to a supported instance of SQL Server with the instance name DBTest. To test an upgrade of this copy of the site database, use the following command line: Setup.exe /TESTDBUPGRADE DBtestCM_ABC. You can find Setup.exe in the following location on the source media for System Center Configuration Manager: SMSSETUPBINX64.

Step 3 – On the instance of SQL Server where you run the database upgrade test, monitor the ConfigMgrSetup.log in the root of the system drive for progress and success. If the test upgrade fails, resolve any issues related to the site database upgrade failure, create a new backup of the site database, and then test the upgrade of the new copy of the site database. After the process is successful, you can delete the database copy.

• Restart the site server and each computer that hosts a site system role to ensure that there are no pending actions from a recent installation of updates or from prerequisites.
    • Review the site and hierarchy status and verify that there are no unresolved issues.
    • You need to upgrade your ADK version to version 10 before the upgrade process.
    • If you’re planning to use Windows 10 Servicing, you need to consider applying this important WSUS update to your Windows Server. This hotfix is only available for Windows 2012, if you’re running your Software Update Point on Windows 2008, consider moving your SUP to a Windows 2012 server.(Hotfix KB3095113)

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:19 PM
  • As Nick noted above, to get to ConfigMgr CB, you should upgrade to 2012 SP1 first and then you can upgrade to ConfigMgr CB (1511). From there you can upgrade to ConfigMgr CB (1606).

No, you don't have to do the test db upgrade but its generally a bad idea not to.

If you truly only have a few clients on the current installation and don't care about their current state or anything configured in this current site, then you can directly install ConfigMgr CB 1511 and immediately upgrade it to ConfigMgr CB 1606 -- there's no reason to install any version of ConfigMgr 2012 at all. You should use a new site code though, uninstall the old site, and cleanup AD if necessary (the System Management container specifically).

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Thank you all for the response especially Nick and Jason.

So If I understand it correctly ConfigMgr CB YYMM is the new naming convention for SCCM and now is also a different product? I that correct in my understanding.

Our SCCM 2012 RTM is working but it's not fully deployed in terms of managing EPP, updates or other SCCM 2012 feature set. We would like to start fresh with the ConfigMgr Current Branch 1511 as Jason recommends.

Would it be possible to do a side by side installation and then decommission SCCM 2012 <g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="26" id="26">RTM.</g> And Maybe I am asking too much can this be possible on the same VM server.

If side by side is not possible then according to the reply above we will only need to install SP1 and then run ConfigMgr CB 1511.

In our VLSC I only see SP2. Can I install SP2 on RTM? and then go to 1511?

Again I want to avoid the test upgrade method if possible. Jason mentions its possible so would like a reconfirmation on that.

Thanks All again

Buck

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:54 PM
  • > "So If I understand it correctly ConfigMgr CB YYMM is the new naming convention for SCCM and now is also a different product? I that correct in my understanding."

Kind of but not really. The new name is as noted ConfigMgr Current Branch (CB). The build number is represented as YYMM; there have been three release ready builds so far: 1511, 1602, and 1606. This is very similar to the Windows 10 naming where there have also been three builds released: 1507, 1511, and 1607.

> "Would it be possible to do a side by side installation and then decommission SCCM 2012 "

Yes.

> "And Maybe I am asking too much can this be possible on the same VM server."

No, not while another site is installed. I would never think about using the same OS instance either. If for some reason you are short on resources, simply turn off the existing ConfigMgr VM and build a new VM.

> "If side by side is not possible then according to the reply above we will only need to install SP1 and then run ConfigMgr CB 1511."

Not needed at all.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Hello Jason

Buck

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hello Jason

Buck

As you hve already SCCM 2012 RTM then go with upgrade. 

not a new brand CB 1511 or CB 1606 instalaltion

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Thanks Sharad

So if I have SCCM RTM, can I upgrade to SP2 directly?

Thanks

Buck

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:22 PM

• So if I have SCCM RTM, can I upgrade to SP2 directly?

I think you mean R2, 

Yes, SP1 (and I think even CU2 for SP1) is required.

so here is you need SP1 for both CB 1511 to 1606 or SCCM 2012 R2 

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:12 PM
  • Hey Sharad

The SPLASH shows I have "System Center Configuration Manager SP2". This what I got from my VLSC site.

I did not see CU2 <g class="gr_ gr_333 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="333" id="333">there,</g> unless <g class="gr_ gr_371 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="371" id="371">its</g> by another name.

Is that the same?

And if this is the same <g class="gr_ gr_138 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="138" id="138">its</g> forcing a local install of SQL where I have a remote SQL server?

Thanks

Buck

• Edited by BuckH1 Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:25 PM
  • No, you must be on at least 2012 SP1: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822981.aspx#BKMK_UpgradeVersions

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:29 PM
  • I think you mean R2

No, he means SP2. And no, you must be on 2012 SP1 to get to SP2.

• If you are already on SP2, you can upgrade to 1511 directly.

• Hello Jason

Thanks

Buck

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Hello Jason

Thanks

Buck

Why you are trying to upgrade SP2.

you have SCCM 2012 RTM version.

upgate this to SCCM 2012 SP1 then upgrade this to CB 1511. 

and Yes service is temp not available for both KBs. 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:10 AM
  • Sharad,

For some reason, the VLSC site does not have SCCM 2012 SP1 just SCCM 2012 SP2. Can I not go to SCCM 2012 SP 2 from SCCM 2012 RTM?

Is there another location/<g class="gr_ gr_261 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="261" id="261">url</g> for SCCM 2012 SP1 install.

Thanks

Buck

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Unfortunatily 

Service Unavailable - Zero size object right now, 

but all the updates should be at MS download center/VL sites

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Hello 

Thanks

Buck

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hello 

Thanks

Buck

No, download center is working fine now, you can download this. 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Hello All

Just wanted to give you all an update.

When using SCCMSCEPSP2_8239 to update our SCCM 2012 RTM I am getting an "Unsupported upgrade path error". 

I am not able to locate SP1 install on my VLSC or any of the MS download center try SP1 route as well

I opened an incident with MS only to find SP1 is not available but they are trying to search for a copy??

My ultimate goal is to go to CB 1511, but in order to go to CB <g class="gr_ gr_1106 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1106" id="1106">1511</g> I at least need to be on SP1 or SP2.  SP2 returns an error as stated above and neither myself or MS is able to locate the whereabouts of SP1

Any other suggestion other than a net new install of CM CB 1511?

Thanks

Buck

Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Sharad and All

Last communication I received for the incident I opened with Microsoft is that I will not be able to upgrade my SCCM 2012 RTM.  MS has stopped supporting and providing any patch to upgrade SCCM RTM. 

This was quite disappointing for us, after checking all the documents and all you all taking the time here in this forum to give helpful insight to the RTM upgrade, including MS on previous communication to us that <g class="gr_ gr_1392 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="1392" id="1392">in fact</g> it was possible to upgrade RTM to latest 1511 build.

So we are back to deploying a net new build of CM 1551 and migrating user those users over to new build and then decommissioning the RTM install.

I am hoping folks can comment here if they have had similar issues and lesson learned. I would surely appreciate some guidance here on that

Thanks

Buck

Monday, September 12, 2016 4:52 PM