none
Installing MAP 8 with SQL 2012 express. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so with what i think, please correct me if im wrong

When i install map 8 , it will automatically install Server 2012 Express?

But however, after my installation of MAP 8 i cant find the Sever 2012 on my windows 7 machine.

do i need any procedure to see this?

secondly, how can i connect an existing sql database to MAP 8.

Thanks guys

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:04 AM

Answers

• MAPS will install a local DB version of SQL2012 so it will not be what you are used to if you are comparing it to other SQL installations.

MAPS will install and connect to an instance name of MAPS on the local machine only.  If you don't have an instance named MAPS it will use the SQL2012 local DB engine.

• Proposed as answer by CountryStyle Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry_Tech Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:41 PM

All replies

• MAPS will install a local DB version of SQL2012 so it will not be what you are used to if you are comparing it to other SQL installations.

MAPS will install and connect to an instance name of MAPS on the local machine only.  If you don't have an instance named MAPS it will use the SQL2012 local DB engine.

• Proposed as answer by CountryStyle Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry_Tech Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:41 PM
  • SQL Server Express 2012 LocalDB does not run as a service and is tied to the application that installed it. This is why you are not seeing it where you are used to finding SQL Server. You should be able to find it under %User%/AppData/Local/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Local instance of SQL database will start and stop on a need basis.  Every time the service is stop and start a new instance generated.

to manually start the service at command prompt run

c:>sqllocaldb start maptoolkit

to connect to the instance via SQL Server management Studio (or others).

c:>sqllocaldb info maptoolkit this will give you an "instance pipe name:" i.e. np:\\.\pipe\LOCALDB#6A8B671B\tsql\query

copy and paste the np:\\.\pipe\LOCALDB#6A8B671B\tsql\query into the "Server name:" field

Monday, May 13, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Or, if you don't want to do all of that, you could simply type this into the Server name field: (localdb)\maptoolkit

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:04 AM